Three

GEORGE

I stretched, and leaned back into my office chair. It was nearing 6pm, which meant I could go home soon. I was exhausted from working, and also starving because I didn't have a chance to eat anything for lunch.

I grabbed my papers and shoved them into my bag, cursing as the dumb zipper got stuck again. I swore to myself that I'd find a better job this month, after my bills were paid.

I waved goodbye at the secretary as I left the building. The streets were busy still, and even though it was spring, the sky was starting to darken. A couple street lamps beside me illuminated.

I was debating what I should eat for dinner, when a hand grabbed my arm and dragged me violently to the side. I was shoved against the brick wall of a small alley.

"Hey, wha- Mmph!" A hand was shoved over my mouth and nose, and my arms were uselessly pressed into my back. I tried to free them, but they wouldn't budge.

I couldn't see the man's face in the dark. He tilted his head, speaking into an earpiece.

"Got him, boss. Do you want him unconscious?"

Apparently it was a yes, because he took a moment to grab something from his pocket, freeing my mouth.

"HELP! I-"

His hand clamped down on my face again, and I tried shoving against him with my elbow, to no avail.

"Tsk, stop making my job harder than it already is," he muttered.

I now noticed the damp cloth in his hand, pressed up against my nose and mouth. I'd been holding my breath, and I could only assume it was chloroform, a sleep drug.

I couldn't help it, and drew in a short breath. Immediately, my nose and throat burned.

I felt my eyelids drooping shut, and the man pulled me back to fall on him. He reached into my pocket for my wallet, and snapped it open.

"George, huh."

That was the last thing I heard, before the darkness took over.