Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Asgard, 2013

The funerals were magnificent. Every Asgardian was there, except for my father. I stood next to Thor and Odin as I watched my grandmother burn while floating in the universe and turn into stardust. I projected the whole scene into my father's cell and the minute the funeral was over, I teleported back to my father's cell, to make sure I could spend as much time with him as possible before I was sent back on Earth. When I get to his cell, my father seems fine, but I know it is all an illusion. However, I act as if I believed it; he needs it more than I do, and to be honest, I don't want to have to see my father so devastated.

"Thank you so much for what you did for me tonight," he says, as soon as he sees me.

"Of course, it was the least I could do," I reply.

We keep talking for a little while until he tells me:

"Someone is coming, quick, disappear."

I nod and make myself invisible, as Thor appears.

"Thor. After all this time and now you come to visit me. Why? Have you come to gloat? To mock?" My father asks.

"Loki, enough. No more illusions," Thor orders.

As he says this, my father stops projecting his illusion, and I see that his cell is a total mess, and that he is not standing anymore, but sitting against the wall. He looks terrible, and I wish I could take some of his sadness away. Frigga was all he had left on Asgard.

"Now you see me, brother. Did she suffer?" My father questions.

"I did not come here to share our grief. Instead, I offer you the chance of a far richer sacrament."

"Go on."

"I know you seek vengeance as much as I do. You help me escape Asgard and I will grant it to you, vengeance. And afterward, this cell."

My father chuckles, before replying:

"You must be truly desperate to come to me for help. What makes you think you can trust me?"

"I don't. Mother did. You should know that when we fought each other in the past, I did so with a glimmer of hope that my brother was still in there somewhere. That hope no longer exists to protect you. You betray me and I will kill you."

My father smiles and asks:

"When do we start?"

On these words, Thor breaks my father out and they leave. I stay behind, still invisible, not knowing what to do. As soon as they are out of the dungeon, I see my father come back. I try to hug him but realize quickly enough that it is only an illusion.

"Liv, princess," he says, "I am so sorry, but this is farewell. I am happy I got to see you; this was a gift. Be safe on Midgard. I hope I will see you again soon."

The illusion disappears. I get out of the dungeon and see that they are heading towards the Throne Room. I wonder why. Without thinking about it twice, I decide to follow them, and as soon as I realize they are heading for a ship, I teleport inside it. I have no idea what this ship is doing inside the Throne Room, I think that a lot has happened on Asgard recently. Uncle Thor is the first one to walk inside the ship, closely followed by Jane, and then by my father. As Uncle Thor is trying to turn on the engine, my father stares into my direction, and I immediately know that he can feel my presence. I am right, as he says: