Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Earth, 2013

I have now been on Earth for almost a year, and I've come to truly consider Steve as my uncle. He even admitted that "Uncle Steve" has grown on him. He has been going on a lot of missions recently, which is why Maria Hill took my education in charge. It's very different from my old education on Asgard, mostly because humans don't even have half of the knowledge Asgardians have. I thought I would be homeschooled, but for some reason, Maria argued with Steve, saying I should go to school with other people my "age". This is why I'm going to Midtown School of Science and Technology in New York. Maria told me that she was friends with that school's principal, so he did her a favour and accepted me as a new student, since no other school wanted to take me in right in the middle of the school year. I didn't know where New York was, but when Maria drove me there to visit, I realized it was pretty far from home. Therefore, every morning, I teleport in one of the school's bathroom stalls and wait to make sure the bathroom is empty to come out of it and go to class. I do the same thing to come back home every night.

If I'm being honest, I haven't made as many friends as Uncle Steve and Maria would like, mostly because I am not used to having to socialize with other people. I still met this one girl I get along with very well, I believe I can call her my friend. Her name is MJ, which is short for Michelle Jones. What I'm learning is fun, we're doing a lot of science experiments, which is different from what I was doing on Asgard. This school has also helped me learn a lot about technology on Earth. However, I do have to dumb down for certain subjects, such as sports class, or astronomy. I'm pretty lucky, because I see every student stressing out about grades, when I do not fear them; I will be going back to Asgard soon anyways, and this education will have little value there.

"What's next period?" MJ asks me.

"Biology," I reply.

Right when I say that, I realize that, when I left this morning, I forgot my biology textbook at the apartment. When class ends, I tell MJ that I'm going to the bathroom and hurry so I can teleport to go get it during the 10 minutes break between classes.

I teleport in my room and quickly grab my textbook. As I'm about to leave, I hear Steve's voice coming from the living room. That's strange, he was supposed to be on a mission, what is he doing here? I hear him say my name, so I decide to eavesdrop. I make myself invisible and teleport in the living room, to see that Fury and Maria are here as well, looking concerned.

"Are you sure she's still in school?" Maria asks.

"Yeah, she wouldn't just leave like that, she would make sure I knew." Steve answers.

"Okay, well what is Thor doing on Earth, then?" Fury replies.

"I don't know," Steve says, "all I know is that he didn't come here."

What? My uncle is on Midgard, and he didn't come see me?

"Fine, we'll leave you then, but if Thor comes by your apartment, I want to be the first to know," Fury orders.

As he opens the door to leave, his phone rings. He takes it out and looks at it for a split second before saying:

"Nevermind, I'm pretty sure he just left."

Why did Thor come down on Midgard without coming to see me, or Uncle Steve? I do not understand. I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket, and take it out to see that MJ is wondering where I am. This makes me realize that I need to go back to school. I teleport back in the bathroom stall and hurry to class, my textbook in hand. The rest of the day goes by in a blur, as I am not listening to anything and keep thinking about Thor. I cannot help but wonder if this has anything to do with my father. When my last class ends, I don't even say goodbye to MJ and hurry back home, knowing that Steve will explain everything to me.