thirty-nine

DILLON

It felt like an eternity since I had last seen Mittens.

He'd obviously be my closest sort of comfort when Robin would leave. Not like I was a loner or anything, but it just wasn't the same kind of comfort level. Honestly, more than anything, it felt strange that I was comparing my cat to a girl.

Slipping on my sweatshirt, I grabbed the keys and phone off the kitchen table. I leaned back on the table and scrolled through my Twitter feed awaiting for Robin to come out dressed. I suddenly heard the distant footsteps of Robin coming down from my room, I immediately locked my phone and shoved it in my pocket.

"You ready to head out?" I ran my hand into my hair and politely waited for an answer

Robin nodded and we made our way out as I locked the door.

The drive to Matt's house was comfortable. Some part of me was urged and happy to go see my cat. Usually during tours or shows that would last a couple days out of town, I'd have a baby sitter for Mittens.

I parked the car and we walked up into the apartment building where Matt lives. These apartments aren't allowed at all to have pets but Matt says taking my cat in was compared to nothing as bad as he's done.

I think the only bad thing was that Mittens knew when I had brought girls over a large majority of them were scratched by Mittens and hissing because of his bitchy ass. I'm praying to god the demon will be summoned from that cat when I go get him.

Gripping my hand into a fist, I made a clear knock in front of Matt's door.

"Coming!" was Matt's voice far off, his booming footsteps were loud enough to feel him coming closer. The doorknob on the other side jingled a bit and swung open.

"Dillon! You finally came for James!" Matt smiled. Suddenly Matt stretched his neck to the side, and gave a mischievous look at Robin then to me.

"Oh sorry!" I apologized and put my hand on Robin's shoulder. I did the necessary commence of an introduction. After settling in, Matt offered us drinks and we drank some fruity sweet cocktail that taste like a sangria. Matt had always been one of those tolerant friends so I really tried to hold myself back from leading into an argument during conversations but we had known each other for quite sometime so that's why I trusted to leave Mittens with him.

Matt left the living room and disappeared into the hall to go retrieve Mittens. Robin's eyes wandered off and I smiled looking at her.

"Am I gonna meet your mom one day?" I guessed.

Robin chortled, "Conceivably it's possible for that to happen."

Matt came in snuggling Mittens wrapped around his arms warmly, I became so happy to see Mittens again after so long. Matt set down Mittens and Mittens made his way walking towards me rubbing his head on my leg purring gently. I picked him up and set him on my lap. "How did he behave why while I was gone?" I asked looking up to Matt. Surprisingly from what Matt said, he behaved very well and actually kept Matt really calm and relaxed when they were together. I usually play around with Mittens and scare him and scream so it was surprising Mittens didn't attack.

Mittens walked around Robin strangely but then purred and nestled his head under her greeting hands. This was possibly the first time Mittens ever liked a woman other than my own mother and I was glad of that. The rest of the time Robin got along and talked to Matt after an hour we said our goodbyes and we left to go buy some groceries that I needed. Robin looked around the shop while I grabbed what I needed. I found it cute how she could look like such a tourist even in a grocery store. For example she would point out and compare the different brands of foods California had rather than Washington's.