Chapter 47: Allerdale Rooms

Start from the beginning

"Him?"

"Yes. The current Duke of Ackernetch. He was promised to me and we were supposed to be betrothed when I turn ten. He was two years older than I."

"What happened, Mama?"

"Well, he met his wife. And he insisted that they suit each other more than we did." Lucille smiled, "And I agreed. I'll introduce you to them and you'll understand."

"It sounds like an interesting story, Mama."

"Ohh, it was. I shall tell you more but now let us have some sherry."

They pulled the door open and continued giggling like little girls.
***

After leaving Marie at the garden, Dathan made his way back inside. The music had blasted loudly as he stepped into the ballroom. He wanted to cover his ears but he did not wished to catch anyone's attention.

Now that he had squirmed his way past the crowd, he began his search for his family. He knew his mother would not allow him to leave so soon and his brother may try to convince him to stay. But he didn't wish to. He only had one thing in mind and it did not concern them.

He reached the gaming room where he delivered his brother and sister-in-law. As soon as he opened the door he knew something was wrong. The gaming tables were left unattended and the players were forming a circle on the far end side of the room. His eyes searched for his parents but couldn't spot them. What was happening?

Dathan moved closer and being taller than most men, he could somehow see what was going on ahead. He saw two blonde heads and one brown with strips of gray. He tiptoed and almost doubled over because someone was pushing against him. Darn this crowd.

"What on earth is going on?" He asked one of the men.

One balding guy replied, "Someone threw a punch."

"So there's a fight?" He asked.

"Sort of."

"What do you mean?"

"Just watch." And they heard grunts and incoherent words from both men throwing punches.

"If I may." Dathan tried to squeeze himself past the insistent crowd and finally made progress. He made it to the front and saw the spectacle before him.

His father had taken off his coat, rolled up his sleeves while holding his arms up while sweat dampened his hair and shirt. A few paces from him was his brother, holding their father's coat with his lips pursed. He looked like he did would rather be somewhere else rather than witness whatever was happening.

"What's going on here?" He asked.

Heads turned to him, including his father and brother. But someone else answered him, "Do not interfere young man. This is between us."

Dathan turned towards the voice and recognized the Duke of Ackernetch. Like his father, he had discarded his coat and rolled up his sleeves. A young man stood behind him. The resemblance was obvious, his own son carried his coat and was made to watch his own father fight another man in a crowded room.

"Will someone please tell me what on earth is happening?" He turned to his brother, "Why is father fighting our host?"

Damian shrugged. "It was like this when he tossed his coat at me."

"Why haven't you done anything?" And why has no one tried to stop them? Was the party that boring? He wanted to scream at the guests but knew he couldn't cause a scene, other than the one his father had started.

"You stay quite, son." Vincent said. "And do not even try to stop me."

"Stop you from what—"

Vincent lunged and threw a punch. His opponent was caught off guard and got hit on the stomach. The crowd blanched but no one dared interfere. Duke Ackernetch spat blood and had fallen down his knees.