Chapter 39

Ariana's POV

As I woke up I felt to see if Stephen was beside me. He wasn't. I sat up to find an outfit laid out beside me and a note.

"Get dressed and meet me on the deck"

I smiled to myself and got up to get ready.

After I got dressed I hurried out to meet him.

"I didn't take too long did I?" I asked.

He turned around and studied me from head to toe. "No baby you look beautiful" he said kissing my lips.

He rested his hand on my lower back. As we walked.

Once again he had a beautiful evening planned for us.

"I wanted to have a conversation with you," he stated as we took our seats at the table.

"I'm all ears," I replied.

"Since I've returned home, you no longer have to bear the burden of serious tasks. You can ease your load and dedicate more time to the children," he suggested.

"That may sound appealing, Stephen, but I actually enjoy working. I successfully managed being a mother and overseeing the operations of the mafia while you were away. I have no desire to sit idly at home and be a housewife," I asserted.

"You've put yourself in harm's way enough, Ariana," he said, a tinge of irritation present in his voice.

"I'll always be in jeopardy. I am a formidable woman. Additionally, I am your wife. Given my identity and our marital status, there will always be a target on my back," I argued. "Why won't you just listen to me?" he asked, his tone conveying defeat.

"Because I made it clear from the beginning that I am not someone you can control like a pet. We stand as equals. So, if I desire to strike a balance between work and being a mother, I will do so. End of discussion," I declared, taking a sip of my wine.

"I dislike your tone, Ariana," he stated, glaring at me. "And I am not particularly fond of yours, Stephen," I retorted, rolling my eyes.

"Roll them again" he dared.

I rolled my eyes at him again. Before they could even finish rolling he was leaned across the table with a hand around my neck.

"Fix the attitude. Before I bend you over and fuck it out of you" he said.

"No, now I advise you to let me go" I said looking him dead in his eyes.

"Gotten bold haven't we?" He asked with a smirk on his face.

"You made me a miniature you" I said returning the same energy. He let me go. His phone rung and he answered it.

"A shoot out?" He asked.

"Okay, we'll fly back tomorrow" he added before hanging up.

"Fuck" he said under his breath.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Remember the situation with the club? Well Warren ended up getting in a shoot out with one of the gang members. Now we have a war on our hands" he said.

"Did they manage to get one of the members?" I asked.

"Yeah, now we need to get back home to interrogate whoever it is" he said.