Part 16

Class D's atmosphere had stabilised and we now had good cohesion and cooperation.

The arguments that did arise were quelled by Hirata who truly took the role of the bridge or peacemaker between groups.

Ibuki had been accepted and I was assigned to watch or shadow her to appease my classmates who were suspicious of her.

Of course my connection with Hiyori was the main reason for this but I didn't mind because I learned that Ibuki was one of the two new "book buddie" members.

"The what!" Ibuki shouted with a disgusted voice and her face went slightly pale as if she was going to vomit.

"You are shouting"

"Tch...mind your business!" Ibuki's attitude to our class hadn't changed but it was accepted as her personality like Horikita.

She turned back towards me and dragged me over to a tree leaning against it.

"You okay?"

"I just don't want them hearing you say that!" She spat.

"What?"

"That I'm a book buddie" She glared at me and spoke through gritted teeth.

"Hiyori came up with the name"

"So? I'm not being in a group called that!"

"So you are going to say no to Hiyori"

"..."

She stopped speaking and looked confused and flustered trying to find a way out.

"Arrgh!"

*thud*

She kicked a tree and then sighed deeply full of regret.

"Why does she have to be like that?"

"I can't tell you either"

"I mean how?"

What Ibuki was complaining about is how Hiyori is so innocent and pure that you can't say no because if you do and her smile fades you feel immense guilt and immediately fold.

"In a school like this I am surprised as well"

"What's that mean?"

"I am in a class called defectives and I have people like them" I pointed towards Yamauchi and Ike and Ibuki's face twisted.

"I agree I mean I have Ryūen and Ishizaki" She mimicked vomiting after Ishizaki's name and I raised an eyebrow.

"Ishizaki?"

"He is disgusting and vile just like Ike but he is also a brainless monkey like Sudo"

I am understanding class C more through Ibuki but what surprises me is that the difference between class D and C isn't as high as I would expect.

In fact classes D and C are near mirror images of each other bar some students like Ryūen but when you compare them it is rather weird:

Ike and Sudo are compared to Ishizaki.

Karuizawa and Horikita are as headstrong and blunt as Ibuki.

Kushida is supposedly a beautiful innocent angel like Hiyori. But of course this one is never a comparison because no one shares Hiyori's innocence and Kushida is two faced but this is an objective outsider view.

"What about the other new friend of Hiyori's?"

"Albert?"

"Yes"

I have been curious about this giant since the entrance ceremony and now he is Hiyori's friend so I get to understand him more through Hiyori.

Albert also allowed me to not worry about Hiyori being bullied because he is an intimidating figure who would deter even second and third years.