Chapter 46: Blush

Start from the beginning

Lucille, on the other hand, was entertaining the other ladies in attendance and she had Evangeline sent elsewhere to get some air. There were five gaming tables and all of them were occupied. She walked past them and spotted a vacant settee.

Lydia was finally able to sit down and rest her aching feet. She reached for her pocket; hidden beneath the layers of her skirt and pulled out a fan. Never had she felt air this good.

"Are you faring well, my dear?"

She looked up and smiled with relief, "Mama. Come sit with me. Yes, I am simply resting."

Lucille patted her shoulder and settled down next to her. "Do you wish to see the garden? The evening is a bit chilly but the breeze will help."

Lydia would have loved to but she couldn't let her mother-in-law know how tired she actually was. Not even Evangeline knew what happened these past two weeks since the wedding. And she was not prepared to expose them—yet.

So she offered Lucille an apologetic smile, "I hear they have lovely butterflies, Mama."

"Yes, the best in the kingdom."

"I would love to see them one day. Perhaps, on a less crowded night."

"Ah, of course." Her mother-in-law sighed, "You are still adjusting to your new life. The butterflies can wait, you must rest."

Lucille did not elaborate more because she assumed that her daughter-in-law was merely feeling the changes of being a wife. The topic was understandable but she felt she needed to make up some excuses, least people wondered why they have shown up so soon. So she came up with a lie, "I never thought being a wife is this strenuous." She tried to jest. "Damian and I had been so occupied and distracted from the world." No, they were not. "And the mornings are so warm and I cannot resist leaving bed." She hated every single waking moment that the other side  was empty and untouched.

Lucille held her hands gently, "It shall get easier. Believe me. It will get better."

For the life of her, Lydia prayed it would.
***

Meanwhile

The bottle of brandy was moving faster and faster. Its contents poured into the tiny glasses and more than once, it spilled on to the floor. Em just placed her glass down and Evangeline was holding hers.

"...I have never liked you from the beginning. You acted meek and obedient around Lucille but you were just hiding your true colors." Then she downed her glass.

Em just refilled hers and held the glass up her face, "Nor did I liked you, too. You never smiled around and you refused to join the other servants like you were some high and mighty lady in waiting."

"I was a lady in waiting before I served Lydia. But the monarchy who I was supposed to be with was overthrown. So of course, I still act like one. I wasn't a peasant for gods sake. And my smiles? I never show them. I never had the need to. Smiling are only for flirtatious women who wanted a rich husband with a fat purse." And up her glass went.

"And of course you are one to talk. Raised with a roof above your head, food at your table and dresses to keep you warm. But you know what it resulted to, Evangeline? It made you bloody arrogant. You never smiled because you don't have friends that make you laugh. You are simply miserable."