13- It's Possible

19 July, 2396

The Report had been cancelled for the following week, as the auditorium was still being repaired. That Friday, I noticed Percy was nervous about something. My suspicion was confirmed when he tugged on his ear that evening after dinner.

I proceeded to my room, but I felt someone step on my long gown from behind. I stopped before I would fall on my face.

"You." Drew's pipey voice snarled.

I turned. "Me."

"Stop stealing my Percy from me. I'm sick of you, stop with your stupid pitiful stories, you know he's not going to choose you." she almost screamed.

"I'm not providing him with pitiful information, and as far his choice is concerned, maybe you should check with Rachel Dare. The Prince has been on more dates with her than all of us combined." I said, turning to leave.

"Official dates. You think we don't notice you two scurrying off and chatting about for hours."

I ignored her and clip clopped my way back to my room. A new guard was stationed there today. He was wearing a helmet though, which was odd for guards to do outside of the battlefield. I had asked Percy about that, and he had said that the guard had a scar he was trying to hide, but he wasn't an enemy. I put my head against the door as I entered.

"Miss, should we prepare the bed?" Kriss asked.

"No, Percy's coming." I said, my voice strained. The girls scurried about like mice, cleaning every available surface. I went to the desk, sat down, and began to draw. I just let the pencil flow across the paper, not really noticing what I was drawing. A knock caused one of my lines to go haywire. I grunted. Kriss opened the door and Percy stepped in.

"What's that?" I felt Percy's hand on the back of the chair I was sitting on. I hadn't noticed what I was drawing. It was large building with spikes and several quarters.

"That's the Palace." I told him, looking up at Percy, who was smiling.

"I heard want Drew said to you. I just want you to know-"

"Tell me what you're nervous about. I don't want to talk about her." I said, holding up a hand. Percy offered me his hand. I took it and helped myself up. He let go as I followed him to my balcony.

(AN:- IF YOU HAVE READ THE SELECTION, YK WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN NOW)

There was strong cold wind brewing, so I took a shawl over my body. I joined Percy, who was staring out towards the open green grounds. I put my elbows on the railing.

"So..."

The dark clouds above seemed to form a roof like structure once more, no thunder, just strong wind.

"I like you." he said, his cheeks as red as strawberries.

"Never could've figured that out." I teased, though I could feel my own cheeks heating up aswell. The wind blew through Percy's dark hair and his sea green eyes were fixed on the grass below.

"I have a very simple question." he said, turning his head to me.

"Proceed, sir."

"Annabeth, I'm being serious. " he said.

"Okay, okay. What?" I said, looking at him directly in the eyes.

"Is it possible? I just want to know if there's even a sliver of chance that maybe we could-, that maybe there could ever be an us?"

I thought for a moment. I loved Luke, but he was my past, I didn't hold any obligation to him. He'd had me once and he'd lost his opportunity, Percy didn't deserve to suffer because of Luke's failures.

Percy was... different. With him, even though it had only been weeks, I never felt excited. I felt at peace, I felt like things were going right in my life. I looked at him once more in the eyes. His eyes were hurt, angry, guilty, pleading, disappointed. A billion other emotions seemed to swim in the sea green eyeball.I closed my own eyes. I chose the paths I took in my life. Luke didn't get to that, I'd came here to get over him, and I'd done that. I wasn't going to let someone like Percy slip away from me because of a guy who dumped me because of his giant ego. I wrapped my arms around Percy's neck.

"It's possible." I whispered in his ear, standing on my tiptoes. My hands were on his neck as I felt a shiver run through it. I grazed my fingertips across his hair. I laughed soundlessly into his ear before pulling back a bit. Our lips were centimetres apart, almost touching. Mine began to ache as Percy's lower lip quivered. He slid his hands across my waist and pulled me in. Our lips met. It was delicate at first, just our lips slowly moving around eachother. But then they grew a brain of their own. My body wasn't thumping with excitement like it used to do with Luke, it felt relaxed. I felt like I was floating, like my entire being was weightless.

We both pulled away, taking deep breaths. Percy's lower lip was swollen and a bit red. Green met grey and we bursted out laughing. My heart felt light and warm. Everything about the moment felt perfect. The laughter died down as a gust of cold air blew through my hair, messing up the bun my maids had worked super hard on.

"It's possible, Seaweed Brain. It always was. I was wrong when I said that I didn't have feelings for you, I'm sorry if I hurt you." I said, my arms still wrapped around his neck.

"Annabeth, you couldn't hurt me if you tried. I know it's only been two weeks but I feel something here." he said, his boyish voice low and deep.

"For what it's worth, Percy. I hope you're right." I replied, grazing my thumb across his jaw.

"Well, I hate to leave, but I kind of have to." Percy replied, stepping away from me. I pouted, but walked him to the door anyway. Percy opened the door again, kissing me once more as he left.

"Keep watch, you're doing great." Percy told the guard, then winked at me before walking off. The guard saluted, but I could sense hatred in it. I frowned, Percy was normally very kind to the Palace staff, it was unusual for a guard to think negatively of him.

"Sir," I asked the guard respectfully, "Would you mind telling me your name? It just makes me feel safer."

The guard nodded, but instead of speaking, he removed his helmet. My breathing hitched and my heart seemed to jump to my throat.

With his clear blue eyes, a scar running down his left one, sandy blond hair and an abhorrent expression, Luke was standing infront of me.