lanta

The Winged Shadow

     As Rhaella turned around she saw nothing but shadows, but as she did so the area around her wasn't a hall anymore, the Iron Throne and the horizon behind it weren't there anymore

     As Rhaella turned around she saw nothing but shadows, but as she did so the area around her wasn't a hall anymore, the Iron Throne and the horizon behind it weren't there anymore. All she saw now was darkness, the girl couldn't even see the torch she had laid on the floor when she had first entered the strange village.

     "Rhaella," the silver haired girl heard one more time, but this time, she recognized the voice, it was Gaemon.

     "Gaemon," the girl said loudly, hoping her friend would be able to tell where she was.

     "Rhaella!" She heard Gaemon again, but this time it sounded like his voice was coming from all around her.

     Rhaella continued to walk towards where she came from, hoping she could find a door or entrance that would lead her to her friend. The girl finally reached the door where she came through. When the princess opened the door she saw a torch far away from her, and near the flame was the face of her friend, the sight made her sigh in relief.

     The two friends ran towards each other and when they finally met Rhaella hugged Gaemon tightly. "Is everything alright?" He asked her when he pulled away from the hug.

     "I have seen things in the place... We need to leave," it was all she told her friend.

     After a small discussion the two Valyrians had decided to go through the door Rhaella had just come out of, as they knew the hallway Gaemon had come from had no way out. They walked back in the room Rhaella was in, and even with Gaemon's torch they couldn't see much. Maybe there wasn't much to see in the room, the silver haired girl thought. The room had an eerie feeling to it, and Gaemon could tell as soon as he stepped inside of the darkness that consumed the room.

     "What did you see in this room?" Gaemon asked as he looked around trying to see anything in the room.

     "The Iron Throne... Dragons... But what bothered me was the voice I heard," she told her dark skinned boy, who looked at her in awe.

     "There is someone else here?" He asked while looking around.

     "I do not know. It was a weird voice, I could not tell if it was a man or a woman, and it seemed so far away and yet so close to me," by her voice  Gaemon understood that Rhaella did not want to talk about the voice anymore, so he decided to let go.

     Both friends walked to the wall farthest from the door they walked in, desperately looking for a way out. Besides the four walls that made the room there was nothing else there, Rhaella was already giving up, she thought of all the horrible ways the two might die in that dark room. But all of her thoughts were interrupted by the noise of bricks falling.

     "Rhaella," Gaemon said, pointing at a whole where the wall met the floor. There were bricks on the floor, which the girl assumed Gaemon had pulled some of them. The girl quickly got on her knees and helped her friend pull and push the bricks, until the whole was big enough for them to fit in, and crouching down they saw a small tunnel behind the wall. Both of them looked at each other before silently nodding, they knew that whole on the wall was their only chance of getting out of that place.

     "I will go first," the princess said, making the boy shake his head.

     "You are a princess, what if something happens?" He argued with her.

     Rhaella's eyes had a fierce look in them, Gaemon swore those were the eyes of a dragon. The Targaryen girl quickly took the torch from her friend, "that doesn't mean my life is worth more than yours. And it is my fault we are here." The girl left no room for argument as she crouched down and walked inside of the tunnel.

     The two Valyrians had to crawl on their hands and knees to go forward on the tunnel, Rhaella's healed knees were bleeding all over again, her hands and knees were covered in dirt and blood, and despite enjoying the heat the girl was covered in sweat.

     "What do you think made this tunnel?" Rhaella asked, the girl wanted to distract herself, she thought that maybe if they talked the time would go by faster.

     "A firewyrm maybe," Gaemon said, making Rhaella stop abruptly.

     "A what?" She asked worriedly.

     "They are wingless dragons that used to live in the mines, they can cut through soil, and stone," the boy explained, making his friend resume her crawling.

     The silver haired girl was terrified, not so much for herself, but for her friend, but she knew she couldn't let it show, she had to be strong for both of them.

     After crawling for hours the princess couldn't feel her knees and hands anymore, and the torch they had was dying slowly, and the farther they crawled the hotter it got. Rhaella could see that Gaemon would not be able to go much further, he was sweating and completely out of breath, but she also knew that they were already too far out to turn around now.

     Once again Rhaella found herself thinking they would die there, but once again those thoughts were interrupted by something, a roar, a dragon, she thought. The roar was like fuel to the girl, it motivated her, the dragon's roar had awakened something inside of her, she knew now that she had to keep going, and if she did she knew they would be out of this place soon enough.

     The girl crawled faster until she reached the end of the tunnel, but unlike the beginning of the tunnel this one ended with a wall of soil, which Rhaella quickly began to dig at with her hand and the end of her torch. After desperately digging for minutes the soil wall began to crumble and the passage began to open in front of the two friends, and as soon as the passage was big enough for them to fit they both crawled through it, and with a cry they got on their feet, happy to finally be able to stretch. The two were covered in blood, sweat and dirt, and by what they could see they were in some sort of cave, but they were still happy they were finally out of that tunnel.

     But their happiness was cut short by a loud roar, Rhaella was quick to push Gaemon behind her. In front of him, Gaemon saw a big dragon, dark as night, with wild eyes, a winged shadow, he thought.

     "Drogon," the princess whispered, she also noticed a dead creature by Drogon's feet, what looked like a wingless dragon. A firewyrm, the girl guessed.

Author's note:

I hope you guys enjoy this chapter! I'm obsessed with mythical creatures so when I read about firewyrms I had to find a way to introduce them in the book.