ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟝𝟞

I left Rose's room and headed to Darlo's office because I know he isn't asleep

I left Rose's room and headed to Darlo's office because I know he isn't asleep. That man never sleeps, and it's a part of the reason he is so successful because he never rests. I could see the light through the bottom of the closed door, so I just knocked and opened the door, not bothering to receive an answer.

Darlo was looking through some papers, and when I walked in, his attention was partly directed towards me. When he saw my concerned face and the envelope in my grasp, he looked at me curiously. I took a deep breath before opening the envelope and walking over, setting the pictures on his desk.

At first, he looked through them confused before a look of rage flashed on his face. He had always been good at controlling his anger in front of us kids, but we all know who he is and what he does. All of us have a monster. Some just control them better than others.

He takes a deep breath when he sees the last picture. I concluded that the woman in the picture was Rose's mother, aka Darlo's wife. He always thought she left him without looking back, but I had always been confused because mothers always do what's best for their kids in their eyes.

Unless you are a terrible person, you always look after your own, whether that means letting someone adopt your kid or not having a kid at all because they knew that they couldn't give the kid the life they deserved. I had never thought about having children and never gave a second glance to reproductive rights because half of that shit I can't have an opinion on.

No uterus, no opinion is what my mother would preach to me day in and day out. Since she was a medical professional, she sees a lot of things. Ranging from kids being abandoned outside the hospital to kids who were abused and had only an inch of life left.

It took a little piece of me to see Rose so exhausted from seeing that picture of her mother that I could tell where they looked very similar. It was uncanny, and that scared the hell out of me. It probably scared Darlo more from time to time.

"What is this?" Darlo asked, lost. I shook my head and rubbed the sleep from my eyes, and looked at him sincerely.

"It was on Rose's bed someone has been watching her since she was born," I said, speaking the obvious. "Darlo, someone wants this whole family dead. They want chaos and will stop at nothing to get it," I said, telling him the truth that we both knew by now.

I have worked in the mafia for a couple of years. My mom needed the money to keep the house, so I went to do the extreme. At first, I moved drugs for a local gang, but when Darlo's organization raided the drug warehouse that I had been in, he took me under his wing.

No matter what, he had never killed someone for the fun of it. So when he saw me exhausted and starving because I hadn't been home in a week, with raw fingers from work, he didn't put me out of my misery.

He offered me a better way to live than being someone's fall guy. If I didn't accept, then he would have no other choice than not to show mercy, but thankfully I wasn't a dumbass and refused the offer as some of the other people working.