Cbapter eighty five

Start from the beginning

"You know I did Angel," he responded while moving to stand over my shoulder and look down at the baby girl. I rose a brow looking up at him, some what surprised to hear he actually sung to the little girl. "And you shall never hear it." He added seeming to know exactly what I was thinking the entire time. I gave a small pout but he just sighed and shook his head with a smile slightly tugging the corner of his lips. I looked back down to my baby instead, reaching one of my hands up and extending a finger for her to clutch her tiny hands round. She seemed to really like the shine of my engagement ring, her little tiny hands were always reaching up to clutch round my ring.

"Well then, aren't you a lucky little thing, Anakin refuses to sing to me and we're meant to be getting married." I whispered while smiling down at the baby girl while my fiancé went to do something and Padme ambled over to join me.

"She really is gorgeous, everyone isn't he senates dying to meet her but I was very firm, she's your baby so I don't want to crowd her or anything," Padmè spoke quietly while stood on my left, being very respectful about the whole matter just like a knew she would be. "Threepio's absolutely smitten, he was in the nursery all morning ensuring she was alright." Padmè added at which point I looked up and round to meet her eyes.

"Threepio?" I questioned as my brows furrowed not remembering the name.

"The droid I built as a kid, you met him on Tattooine remember?" Anakin hummed from back behind me someplace, walking round and resting a hand on my shoulder.  I nodded in understanding as I remembered the gold plated droid. I heard he gifted him to Padmè after the destruction of that farm on Tattooine where his mother had lived. My best guessed was he couldn't bare to be around the droid that served as a constant reminder to his mother's death.

"Oh yes I remember," I spoke while Padmè picked picked up a carrier from the side for when I had to put little Ari back down. I didn't want to let her go at all, especially not today. But in the presence of the council I'd have to. We'd have to pretend we were just generals there to pay our respects to our fallen heroine. It was going to be hard, I wasn't sure I'd be able to hold myself back from crying. "Anakin do you mind take Ari, I'm feeling a little faint." I spoke quietly while offering him the little baby and watching as he gently reached out and took her from my arms. He was so gentle with her, cupping his flesh hand under her head in support as he pulled her up towards his chest. Looking away again I took a a step further down the hall and let out a heavy sigh as I tried to collect myself. I wished today would never have come but it was inevitable. Besides, this was the right thing to do...

"(Y/n), are you alright? I understand this must be difficult for you." I heard Padmè saying quietly from just behind me in a soothing voice. Somewhere back by our apartment door I could hear Anakin speaking softly to our child.

"...it's not just hard on me Padmè, it's hard on all of us, Ari was dearly loved by almost everyone, she knew each and every clone within the 501st by name...instead of complaining when she was punished by the council she took her duties on the chin and and worked hard to complete extra studies and train the younglings, Ari made so many friends helping out where she could and I'm afraid  I've let them all down by not protecting her." I spoke lowering my gaze down with that heavy sense of guilt that had been plaguing me since the trip back. Anakin kept saying it wasn't my fault, even Obi wan had tried to say he was for blame for not paying closer attention when the two padawans placed them self on the mission. But it didn't help, I was her master, she was my responsibility.

"It wasn't your fault (y/n)..." I heard Padmè sigh, those same words I'd heard so many times before during the last couple of days. I felt like those words were playing in repeat and yet I still couldn't agree with them. My throat tightened as I felt tears in my eyes yet again and I shook my head in denial of her comment.