chapter 3

Firstly I wanna thank you all for 116 reads and #443 in guilt . This is my first milestone in this book and thank you for beng with me in this journey. Love you all my readers ❤️❤️

Amelia's pov:

Me and Anthena soon reached the hospital. I actually thought I could ditch school in better situations, like going out with Anthena or something.When I reached the hospital, I went to the receptionist. "Can I know where Mrs. Brittany Knights is?"She gave me a look, didn't even give me a reply, and started flirting with some doctor. This girl is getting on my nerves, and she needs to learn her place. I asked her again in a polite way. She gave me a disgusted look and went back to her flirting. This girl.....ughhh.....poliet Amelia has left us. I gave her a punch on her plastic nose.

She might need a nose job again. Just when I was about to ask her again, Mrs. Grey came towards me and said, "Thank God, Amelia, you are here. Come on, let's go".

With that, she started dragging me into a corridor. "What happened to mom, Mrs. Grey?". Then she stopped dragging me and looked at me and said, "She passed out in the office due to stress. I am afraid, Amelia, that you have to stop going to school for two days and take care of her. I got her a leave for this week, so all she has to do is take rest."I was confused about all the new information. My mom is sick. The school thing doesn't matter because I am already ahead in all of my classes. The thing is, how could I get information out of my mom about what's been getting her into all this stress lately? She probably won't tell me, but I have to know and help her because I am the only one she has. After I went to the hospital room, I saw my mom on the bed; she seemed weak. I decided to take care of her till she gets better.

She was discharged in an hour, and Mrs.Grey dropped us off at home while Anthena returned to school. We got inside the house, and my mom went to her room. I kept the medicines on the table and went inside the kitchen to make chicken soup for mom. After an hour, the soup is done. I arrange a tray with the soup, water, and her tablets and take it inside her room. She is lying on her bed with her eyes open.She is thinking about something. "Mom, you are supposed to take a rest, not think about something." She turned toward me and started getting up.

I kept a pillow behind her back to support her. I put the tray in front of her and asked her to eat. She started eating her soup. I sat in a chair and observed her. What has been bothering her? I really needed to know, so I asked her."What happened, mom?" She looked toward me.

"It's nothing but work stress."I got angry. "Stop it, mom. I have seen you when you are under work stress, and that's nowhere near this. What's that thing that has been bothering you so much that it has made you sick?". She looked at me, debating whether to tell me or not. I think she finally decided to tell me. "From the past few days, I have been receiving threats.I asked, "Threats from whom?" . Then she said, "Don't interrupt me." "I will tell you everything from the beginning."

I stayed silent as she continued talking. "It's been a month since I got tired of the Italian mafia. So I decided to stop their illegal activities. I started disturbing their gun shipment. A few days later, they didn't do anything, but they were really worried about their shipments, so at first they started sending warnings to stop this. But I still continued my job. Then, recently, they started to threaten you." Then she started crying. She is worried about me.I went towards her and hugged her and said, "Don't worry, mom, I will be ok." You remember that you gave birth to a strong girl, right?Then she smiled. "Have your soup and tablets, and place the tray down. I will come back and take it back and take it." With that, I gave her a smile and went outside the room. I sat on the couch and thought about what my mom just said. If they are able to threaten me, the sheriff's daughter, they might be able to even harm me. I wish my mom had left those mafias, because I heard of the power those people hold. I switched on the TV and watched some stuff for awhile, then I went into my mom's room and picked up her tray. I went into the kitchen and had some soup for myself. It's almost evening now, and I have nowhere to go. I went upstairs and changed into my PJs. I let my long, jet-black hair down and went downstairs. I opened my phone and started scrolling. I received a text from Anthena saying that she had taken my books and would drop them off tomorrow morning. I replied with a thank you. I was so deep in scrolling when the doorbell rang. I am not expecting anyone, and neither does mom. I opened the door and there's no one out. There's just a black SUV parked in the distance. I looked down to see something that looked like a letter. I picked it up and opened it. There's a note addressed to Amelia on the front, so I opened it and went further inside.

To dear Amelia I hope you are doing well; you won't be doing well soon if your mother doesn't stop her activities. I hope you take care of yourself. I will see you so much.                 Yours lovingly                        -L

After I read the letter, I couldn't describe my feelings. I am terrified. After this, I will never be able to go out alone. I looked in my neighborhood once again to see if anything was suspicious. But everything is good. In no way am I going to tell Mom about this. I tore it into pieces and threw it in the trash before going inside the house. I locked the door and all the windows. After giving Mom her medication, I went into my room. I think I might not be able to sleep tonight.