your granddaughter's name

Agatha was startled by a harsh knock on her door. She looked out the small window to see who it was, when she saw the persons face, she went pale. She made sure y/n was in her room before opening the door.

"The meeting started 10 minutes ago. I told you there would be consequences if you didn't attend." said Agatha's mother.

"She hasn't shown any signs of being able to do magic yet, leave us alone." Agatha replied, attempting to shut the door before her mother stopped it with her foot.

"She may not have shown it yet but it's there. You are the most powerful, dangerous witch in this coven, you expect me to believe that your daughter doesn't have the ability to use magic?"

"Leave us alone."

"One way or another you and your daughter will be leaving your house and coming with me. Will you cooperate, or will I have to force you?"

Agatha paused, shuddering at the thought what might happen if her mother did force them, "I-I'll go get her." she said finally.

"Good."

~~~~

"Hi mommy." y/n greeted Agatha with a smile. "Hi baby, do you remember a few weeks ago when that woman came up to us in the garden?" Agatha asked with a forced smile, she was trying to make it seem like everything was ok, she didn't want to scare y/n. "Yes, why?" the child asked. "She wants us to come to a meeting, about magic." Agatha said, hesitating on the last part. "Oh really?! That's cool!" y/n replied, a big smile forming on her face. "Sweetheart, you have to promise me that you will attempt to show no signs of having any type of magic in you, do you understand?" Agatha asked in a serious tone that y/n had never heard before. "Oh, um, ok." Y/n was confused, "But why?" "Just promise me you will do your best." Agatha said with a comforting smile on her face, "Come on, she's waiting downstairs to take us." Y/n followed Agatha downstairs and outside, where she saw the old woman that had interrupted her and her mother just a few weeks ago.

~~~~

"One witch will be sending a blast of their magic towards each child's hand, if the child has magic within them, their magic will come out of their hands. It will be small and blue. Does everyone understand?" Everyone nodded their heads, "Good, now the child who wants to go first may come to the center." Agatha held y/n back every time the witches asked for another child to come up, she wanted to stall for as long as she could, "Maybe they'll forget about y/n and won't ever ask for her to come up." Agatha thought to herself.

There were just a few other children left when the old woman decided that "Agatha's daughter" should come to the center. Agatha's face filled with worry as she let her daughter go and let her walk up to the witches. Y/n walked slow, she didn't know how she'd be able to stop herself from showing magic, it comes out when she sneezes!

Finally, she reached the old woman and she grabbed her wrist, and brought it closer to her hand. Y/n closed her eyes, trying to only focus on keeping her magic in, but then she felt the burst of power hit her hand. It sent pins and needles throughout her body, she felt like she was losing control of her body, and then she felt a surge of energy escape her.

When she opened her eyes, everyone was on the ground. "Did I do that?" She looked around at everyones faces, they all looked shocked or angry, then she met her mothers face. Agatha was looking at her with tears in her eyes. She quickly got up and ran to y/n. "Are you ok, my love?" Agatha asked before giving y/n a kiss on the forehead and pulling her in to a tight hug. "I'm sorry mommy, I'm so sorry, I tried to keep it in." Y/n said frantically through tears. "It's ok baby, it's ok. You promised you'd try and you did. It's ok." Agatha said hugging the small child tighter and stroking her hair.

The witches started pointing at y/n, "Danger!" they all began chanting. "Purple! Just like her mother's! They are dangerous!!" Y/n was scared, her eyes were darting around the crowd of witches, making sure none of the witches were close enough to hurt her. Suddenly, y/n felt a hand grab her wrist and pull her from her mother's embrace.

It was the old woman, she pulled y/n in, making sure her hands were stuck behind her back, facing her towards the crowd of witches. "Give her back mother!" Agatha shouted, she was scared, y/n had never seen her mother this scared before. "Mother? This woman is my grandmother?" Y/n thought to herself. "She is dangerous! Just like you! I don't know why I didn't expect this! You lied to me!" Agatha's mother yelled from behind y/n, holding her so tight that it felt like she was being crushed. "She's just a kid!" Agatha said, bursting into tears, "Please mother she's a baby!" "Danger!" The witches began to yell again. They started to circle around Agatha.

"Her name is y/n!!!!!" Agatha screamed, "That's your granddaughter's name, please let her go!" Agatha's mother froze, those two sentences made her soften her expression and her grip. The old woman looked down at y/n, guilt flooding into her face as she saw the young girl with tears streaming out of her eyes. She was traumatizing her own granddaughter. Agatha's mother ordered the witches to stand down. She started walking towards Agatha with y/n. "This will be your only warning, make sure she is safe from everyone and that everyone is safe from her." The woman let go of y/n, who immediately ran into her mother's warm, comforting embrace. "Everyone go home, I don't want another word of what happened tonight." The witches began clearing out and going back to their houses, whispering among themselves.

Agatha and y/n were still sitting in the center of the village, holding on tight to each other while Agatha planted small, gentle kisses all over the young girls head. "I am so sorry darling," Agatha said through tears, "I promised I would never let them hurt you." The child didn't reply. "Y/n?" Agatha asked quietly before realizing that she had fallen asleep in her arms. Agatha rested her hand on y/n's cheek, wiping away the tears that were still resting on her face. She gave her one more kiss on the forehead before picking her up and carrying her back to their house. Instead of laying y/n down in her own bed, Agatha laid her down with her in her bed, so she could make sure she stayed right beside her the whole night, so she could make sure she was safe.

"I am so sorry my love."