"Hi." I walked over to where I left my shovel while I took a break. "What are you doing here?"

He grabbed the shovel from my hands- a wrinkle of disgust on his nose. He set it back against the wall before washing his hand in the large, freestanding utility sink.

"Wash up," he instructed.

"Why?" I asked, confused.

He grinned. "We're going on a picnic."

His answer surprised me. "But I have work to do."

"It can wait."

Looking down at the basket in his hands, my mouth salivated thinking about the foods it may hold. I would be missing dinner anyways, so what would it matter if I had to work longer into the night if I could fill my belly right now? I already knew I wouldn't get much sleep- last night's nightmares had kept me tossing and turning all night. The attack had brought the worst of my memories out of their resting place. I didn't have much hope for tonight being any better, so sleep would be elusive regardless of if I had to work late or not.

It wasn't a hard decision to make.

"Okay."

I washed up and followed him. There was only so much I could accomplish in a utility sink. He didn't show any sign of complaint at the smell that I probably gave off. I had become nose blind to the stink after already being surrounded by it for the past hour.

I observed him closely. It didn't seem like he knew what occurred in the bathes last night. I hadn't seen Andreas or the other two so far, so I assumed Zev had the situation handled with Cassius. 

I felt a weight I didn't know I carried lift off at the realization they hadn't told Ezra. That probably meant they didn't tell anyone else, either. It was a relief. I didn't want others to know. I didn't want anyone looking at me differently. They always did when they found out these things. With either pity or disgust.

We walked across the open field and into the wooded area.

"Where are we going," I asked, gazing up that the treetop. The sunlight filtered through the vibrant canopy of overlapping branches and leaves. The treetops shaded the ground below, but random beams of light broke through the leaves.

"I want to show you a special spot I found a few years ago. I realized you haven't had a chance to see much of anything besides the manor and stables."

He helped me over a large fallen tree in our path. We walked through the mystical-looking woods. Ezra provided no more information about this 'special spot 'we were headed to only saying that I'll see when we get there. He pointed out plants as we walked, telling me which ones were safe and used in potions and medicine, and which ones were toxic and poisonous. It surprised me how many things we encountered on our walk that could kill me.

We walked past a beautiful flower. The edges of its pointed petals were a deep, royal blue, it faded to a beautiful lilac colour towards the center where bright red pistils sat. I reached out, the need to feel the smooth petals was compelling, but Ezra's hand clamped down on my wrist stopping me.

"That's a Siren's Bloom," he said, pulling me away.

I thought it would be safe to touch it. He hadn't identified any of the flowers we walked by as being dangerous. I looked back at the stunning bloom. I still wanted to touch it. To feel and caress the velvety smooth petals and smell the bittersweet fragrance it gave off.

"Don't go within a two-meter radius of that plant. As its name implies- it's a siren. It gives off hormones that lure in prey, tempting them to touch. Once you do, thick vines that are hidden beneath the soil will shoot out and grab you. It'll squeeze the life out of you before breaking down and devouring your remains with enzymes."