Chapter 1 - The girl in the cottage

"It's getting worse, Elara" Isobel moaned, gripping my hand as if the panic could be transferred through mere touch. I looked at our connected hands, I looked at how frail Isobel's hands are compared to mine, how my pale skin is tight and hers is loose with age and illness, covered in unexplained scars.

She has no need in telling me how dreadfully horrifying our town is becoming or the country for that matter, the papers have been calling it the silent war; against who is unexplained.

"It's okay, Isobel. You must relax, I know it is hard considering what's happening, but you don't want to trigger another heart attack." My eyebrows draw in concern, I look at her sunken face, but her eyes are trained across the street to the town centre opposite to the coffee shop, we were sat in trying to avoid the never-ending downpour of rain, it seems as if even mother nature is sending us a warning of the chaos to come.

"Relax" She scoffed as if my statement regarding her wellbeing was completely absurd. "Relax. Child, you have no clue of the dangers out there." That was a loaded statement, one that strongly hinted that she might know more than she is letting on.

"The dangers? Isobel if you know something you must tell me if war is truly what you believe is out there would you really want to keep me in the dark?" I gripped her hand harder willing her to look at me instead of off into space.

"Just be careful, sweetheart. If anything happens you know I'm just opposite.  I promised your father I would protect you, if I'm not there the bobbies should be doing their rounds from now on, so just call."

"Thank you, Isobel it means the world to me. C'mon the rain is stopping let's get you home before the curfew starts." I help her up from our table by the window and thank the waitress before exiting the door with a chime of the bell.

---

TWO MORE TOWNS IN RUIN, BODIES BURNT AND HORRIFICALLY MUTILATED STAY INSIDE THE SILENT MURDERERS ARE COMING...

Another day another town burned to the ground, another day another list of the dead, another day another minute of silence, another day another town closer and closer. Every day the prime minister addresses the nation paying respect to the dead and claims they have been trying their very hardest working with MI6 to find out the cause of this pain and suffering. They claim to have found evidence to suggest a gang or a group of serial killers and my personal favourite as of yesterday Wizards and Witches. They have claimed to have found a long elegantly designed stick of unknown wood, surely now they know that they have hit rock bottom if they are saying that these attacks are the work of wizards, people are dying and the only lead we have is Magical creatures and beings. It's a joke, hasn't been right since papa died. That was a while ago now,  over two years ago now on my 18th birthday, he received a call from the mental institution my mother was a patient at. They called saying he needed to get there urgently, that she had been in some sort of incident, he kissed my head and off he went, the building was attacked by the unknown that day, it was the first attack that started this whole thing, my mother and father were killed together holding one another in a frightened embrace, at least the police told me that's how they found them.

Since then, Isobel has been my anchor, my best friend and like a grandmother to me, she was a good friend of my mothers and promised she would honour my mother's memory by protecting me. She is more of a friend than a protector though especially these days she's 70 years old next week and has had many strokes and heart attacks in the last 2 years, the doctors say that its due to strain on her body from a few years back, they think that it's related to the scars littering her frail body. The doctors and I have questioned her many times about what had happened, but she claimed that she had participated in way too much dancing in her time.