𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐞 (𝟏𝟖)

Start from the beginning

Levi thought she was nervous that she was in trouble. Layla would let him think that. There was no way Annie could tell Levi about her. She realized she just needed to take a breath and move on. Annie was done with and she still had more tasks. Becoming captain and beating whoever she was working with was her main focus.

"Oh. Yeah I was a little nervous people would be angry with me." Layla lied, going along with Levi's story.

"No. Everyone wants to thank you, actually. What are you doing over here?" Levi asked as he placed his hand under her chin. Layla jumped slightly, but he didn't notice. Even his touch made her tense.

"I was just taking a walk. Is it dinner time? I'm starving." Layla said quickly, trying to change the subject.

"Yeah. I was trying to find you so we could go together." Levi smiled and rubbed the side of her cheek.

"You didn't wanna walk with me this morning. What changed?" Layla asked, interested in his sudden change of heart. Levi was very strict about waiting until she was captain before they showed any affection in public.

"You'll see. Come on." Levi winked and began walking, waiting for Layla to follow.

Layla hung up the keys and took a deep breath.

'Everything will be okay.'

'Annie's not gonna say anything.'

'If she did, no one would believe her.'

Layla repeated those words constantly in her head until she began to believe them. She was a great soldier and her mindset had changed since Kenny told her to kill Levi. Everything will be okay. Annie's not gonna say anything. If she did, no one would believe her.

"You coming?" Levi tuned his head and asked her as he held his hand out, signaling her to grab it.

"Yeah." Layla gave him a fake smile and grabbed his hand.

The two of them walked together and were greeted by all of the soldiers standing in a line. Commander Erwin stood in front of them, waiting to greet Layla.

Layla let go of Levi's hand and scrunched her eyebrows together.

"Is everything alright, Commander?" Layla looked up and Erwin and asked. Levi stepped a side by Hange with a smirk on his face.

"Last time we stood like this, Danford, I embarrassed you." Erwin chuckled and Layla laughed softly. "This time, it's the opposite. I'm here, tonight, to reveal your position as captain amongst the Survey Corps." Erwin stood beside Layla and presented her to the scouts standing in front of them.

"I thought you wanted me to shadow Hange first?" Layla was curious about the rush to make her captain. It had only been weeks since Erwin mentioned the odds of her becoming captain again.

"After seeing how you handled Annie and nearly saved us all, it's clear that you deserve this right now. We are more than grateful for the dedication and hard work you put out for all of us. If anyone deserves this position it's you, Danford. You have completely earned my trust and, I'm sure, everyone's trust here." Erwin stressed his point to the soldiers and Layla. Everyone trusted Layla with their lives after her and Annie's encounter. She went for it and beat her. She risked her life for her comrades and would do it again in a heartbeat.

"Thank you, Commander." Layla saluted calmly. On the inside she was beyond excited. She had wanted this more than anyone. Her dedication towards her job was beyond words. What had started out as a terrible mission from Kenny, became a realization of how strong she would be stopping titans.