Part 13

Everyone was standing in front of a small box that would decide who would be their partner. I stood next to Kurapika, for he has already had his target chosen. It was my turn now.
"Alright (y/n) (l/n), you're up against number #407, Sho," one of the examiners announced.
Oh no, that was actually kind of bad..
I didn't want Sho-chan to fail the exam to me but I didn't want to fail the exam either, and plus Kurapika was a bit jealous of him. Kurapika looked away, then looked down. It's about time I confront him about this. I placed my hands on Kurapika's shoulders and spoke to him.

"Kurapika, there's nothing to worry about! I'm probably not going to speak to Sho-chan again after this so there's no need to feel jealous or anything." He looked in my eyes, seeing his reflection.

"I-I'm not jealous or anything out of the ordinary like that.. perhaps I'm just.."

"Hm?" I tilted my head to the side, he had paused his sentence.

"It's nothing. Good luck on the exam, (y/n)." He told me. I gave him a thumbs up, as everyone had disappeared into the forest.

'It's nothing', you say. I know you're hurting deep down inside because of me. I didn't attempt to make friends after the massacre of my family, but it's too late..
You were the first real person I had ever interacted with.
I've already found an attraction to you.
And you have found an attraction to me, too.
——
I went around looking in the forest for Sho-chan, but I couldn't find him. However, I had sensed something.
A sneak attack.
I dodged without looking behind me, only to find out that it was Sho-chan.
"Very clever I must say, (y/n)-san. It seems like we have met again," he said to me. While fighting him, I decided to attempt and ask a few questions to try and catch him off guard, but he was too focused.
"Say, Sho-chan, what is your last name? The examiners didn't say it when they announced that you were my target." I asked.

"That is information I must not tell you at the moment," he replied.
"But maybe you will figure it out soon enough, once you discover the power of nen."
Nen? Never heard of it. Maybe like once or twice ever. He noticed my confusion, so stayed quiet, waiting for me to talk. I didn't reply though, I wasn't about to lose. This fight wasn't getting anywhere, I better think of a plan or something related.. maybe I should use my Kunai darts? They were pretty useful to me after all. I brought them out and tried using them on him, but he noticed them immediately and kicked me in the back which had lowered my guard. I dropped a few of them, which he had picked up in return.
"I hope you don't mind me using these, (y/n)-san," he told me. I got up and jumped up into the air so that he couldn't locate me, and quietly appeared behind him without him realizing. I knocked him to the ground, taking my kunai darts back.
"Yeah, I don't think so. Better luck next time, Sho-chan. I took his tag from him that was labeled #407. But I felt quite bad, actually. He was a hard worker and deserved to pass, so I got off of him with his tag in my hands, and took mine off. I handed it to him.
"Here you go, Sho-chan." I gave him my tag, but he seemed pretty hesitant about it.
"Ohh no (y/n)-san, you really don't have to do that, I-" before he had the chance to finish his sentence, I interrupted him.
"It's my pleasure, Sho-chan. You deserve to pass, you've shown me great integrity and determination. I wouldn't like my new comrade to fail this year, would I?" I gently grabbed his arm and opened up his fist, then I placed my tag in the palm of his hand. He smiled at me delicately.
"Thank you very much (y/n)-san." He bowed and started walking away.
"By the way, Sho-chan, you don't have to keep addressing me so formally, just call me (y/n)!" I said with a reassuring smile.
"Oh, well, okay then. Please do call me just Sho as well, that would be greatly appreciated in return." Sho walked away again, I guess I was done with my part.
I kept walking around and met up with Kurapika, who had taken his target down in the exam as well.
"I see you have defeated Sho, (y/n)." He said to me.
"Oh yeah, but I let him pass too! That's why I don't have my tag," I replied.

"Oh."

"Is something wrong Kurapika?"

"No, everything is just fine."
..
"Tell me. What's wrong?"

"I said everything is fine."

"Kurapika. Tell me now." I didn't realize it, but my eye was glistening pretty brightly, you could slightly see it through my contact.

"I just feel like- you're, um, well..

...

Hiding something."

Oh shitshitshitshit— I can't let him find out, this is bad.. I'm not gonna tell him. I played dumb instead.

"Huh? Why would you think tha-" suddenly, my vision went fuzzy and everything turned black. Before I passed out, the familiar blonde catched me before I could reach the ground.

"(Y/n)?! What's going on?!" Those were the last words I heard before I completely blacked out.