↠48↞ The roommate

↠48↞

The roommate

I can't believe what's just happened. I wanted to be honest, and I had both; Anaya's and Will's back, but Rayna still decided to think that I lied to her, even after Will had accidentally shared with her the truth about Beverly's death — something that he never wanted anyone else to know.

"Are you okay?" Anaya asks me, her hand rests on my arm in a comforting manner.

"Yeah," I mutter under my breath. "Are you?" I ask Will because he hasn't said much since the very moment he opened up about Beverly, and even though what Rayna said about him really hurt me, I know that he must really need someone right now.

"Can you leave us alone for a second?" Will asks politely, directing his words at Anaya.

"Sure." She strokes my arm once more before she disappears into the house.

"Please, don't let what Rayna said get into your head," Will mutters, his voice is calm but sorrow.

"Is that true, though?" I ask.

"It is, but that conversation between me and her was ages ago," he explains, his eyes wander all over my face. "You've changed since then, and so have I."

"But she was right about you having no feelings for me, wasn't she?" I question, even though I already know the answer. I just want to hear it from him, this time a straightforward response, no indirect ones.

Why? My subsconscious goes back to being her obnoxious self. So you can feel less guilty about missing Nathan?

"I'm afraid so, Davina. I'm really sorry if this hurts you, but you don't want me to be dishonest with you, do you?" He raises his eyebrows, his hands instead of landing on my body like they did all night, disappear into the depths of his pockets.

"No, of course not," I mutter, my voice is faint.

"I am a very . . . prudent person when it comes to feelings, and you know the reasons behind it. I don't want you to think that there is something wrong with you. You are an outright beautiful girl, and I feel inexpressibly comfortable around you, but when it comes to me falling in love . . . I don't know. I can't even tell you if it would be worth waiting for me to catch feelings because even if I didn't run this time, I still have got no idea if I'd make a great boyfriend," he explains, and sighs, intently studying my face that involuntarily falls.

"It's fine. I get it." I give a shrug of my slacking shoulders.

"But," he says, removing one of his hands from his pocket. He then places it on my cheek. "I am not blind. I can see that you care about me more than a friend would do. And I am flattered, honestly–"

"But you will never feel the same way about me," I mutter, gently removing his hand from my cheek.

"I never said that I won't. I only said that that's not how I feel now."

"And if you do in the future, then what? You'll push me away just liked you warned me?"

"If I do develop any feelings for you, then I promise to tell you, and we will talk about it, okay?" he asks, his eyes withhold honesty. "You are not indiffirent to me, that's what I want you to know. I do care about you, hence I'm not beating around the bush," he adds, and shortens the already minimal distance between us. "I am madly attracted to you, Davina. I had to inwardly chide myself all night so my dick wouldn't get hard. Also, I saw the way Connor kept glancing at you, but I didn't say anything, and whatever he said, I don't believe it's true."