↠57↞ Strangers

↠57↞

Strangers

"Will, oh my . . ." I mutter, darting towards him. "Don't cry, please." I extend my arms to reach his face that I then cup into my hands. His black eyes look like two pools, tears roll down from them. I have never seen him so vulnerable before. It breaks my heart.

"I can't fight it," he murmurs, looking away, as if he was embarrassed that I get to see him this way. "Everyone knows about Beverly now, if they already haven't after the party that I had thrown," he mutters in a sorrow voice, his hand flies up to his eyes in order to cover them. "And my parents are divorcing, and I can't even talk to my therapist about it because she turned out to be fucking my father," he complains, bravely fighting the sob that tries to escape his mouth and makes his voice sound really brittle.

"I'm sorry that all of this happened to you," I mutter, not really knowing what else I could say in this moment to comfort him. "But please, don't cry. I don't want to see you sad," I bring up the exact same words that he once said to me in the bathroom of my room, on the very day when I found out that I had become a servant, not even knowing back then that it was him who had purchased my service.

"It's okay, Davina. I just need a few more minutes," he mutters, sitting down onto a stool. "Go enjoy your birthday. I don't want to ruin your night with Nathan." His voice is small and apologetic, devoid of hatred for my ex-boyfriend.

"I made my choice, Will. I could've stayed with Nathan but I came here." I keep staring at him until he finally lifts his head up and turns his face to me.

"What?" he murmurs, shocked.

"I chose you," I confess, even though the thought of not being able to find myself around Nathan anymore racks me from within.

"Why?" he questions, his cheek rests on his palm, his elbow is propped on his knee because he planted his feet on the metal, footrest ring of the bar stool that he's sat on. "It's your birthday. He came here for you. I know how much you wanted this."

"And what makes you think that I didn't want you to turn up just as much?" I tuck a brow, analyzing his face. "See, Will, by ingoring me," I start, crouching in front of him, "you'll never be able to get to know what I actually think. I care about you. A lot," I mutter, hesitantly placing my hand on top of his that he rested on his knee. "Please, don't be sad." I shoot him a faint smile. "I know that my words don't fix anything, but maybe there is something that I can do to make you feel somewhat better?" I look at him, his eyes are finally becoming dry.

"I am so ruining your birthday." He chuckles awkwardly, wiping the remnants of his tears off his face. "I feel less of a man now. Crying here like a baby."

"Why would you even say that?" I grab his chin in between my fingers to make him look at me. "It doesn't make you less of a man. It makes you a human." I wander my eyes all over his distorted in various emotions face. He looks so fragile. It's really making my heart ache. "After the party I'm going to my parents'. Do you want to come with me?" I offer kindly, watching his eyes slightly narrow in incomprehension. "You can have some rest far away from the place that only reminds you of your father," I explain, scanning his now impassive face.

"No. I don't want to be a-"

"You're not a problem, Will." I sigh, gazing into his black eyes. "And neither do I want you to be left on your own with yours."

"Okay then." He shoots me a faint smile and for a brief moment none of us says anything. "I think we should go back out there." He points with his head at the door. "I don't want to stop you from celebrating your last birthday as a teenager."

"Yeah, let's have a drink." I smile warmly and stand up, watching him leap up off the stool. "But before we go," I mutter, and not giving him a chance to protest, I wrap my arms tightly around his tall body. "I know that you need this. Even if you don't want to admit it," I say quietly, putting all of my concern for him into this hug, which to my surprise he doesn't return.

"You smell like Nathan," he makes this unexpectable remark.

"Oh," I mutter awkwardly, still embracing him, unsure how to act now.

"It's good. Find out what kind of aftershave he uses," he says, taking me aback when his quiet laughter reaches my ears.

"Okay, I will." I giggle, feeling my previously jumbled thoughts turn into serenity once Will wraps his arms around me, and for the first time ever, even though his embrace isn't as warm as Nathan's, it seems just right. It might not be enough to once and for good make me forget about my ex-boyfriend, the man who my heart desperately longs for, but it is enough to actually think of it as something that I could get used to.

It is not and enough.

~~~~~~~~~~

The party carried on without any more problems nor any more unexpected guests. Will quickly pulled himself back together and along with me, he re-joined the crowd that gathered by the bonfire once it'd started getting much colder. The last few remaining hours of the night went by quick, all of us enjoyed our time to the fullest. I danced with Anaya, Nathan, Will, Sheila, Kai, dozens of guys and girls that I barely recognized and even Liam, who I thanked for standing up for me during that averse situation that Rayna had caused.

The party was incredible, just as perfect as I had once imagined it, all of it thanks to my friends and my ex-boyfriend, who now I unfortunately had to bid farawell to.

"So this is it," Nathan mutters, walking by my side towards the taxi that he had ordered and has just turned up.

"Yup," I respond awkwardly, biting on my bottom lip. "Thank you for making this happen. I mean it." I shoot him a smile, my eyes are reddish and watery.

"I'm glad you liked it." He returns a smile and then catches me completely off guard when he captures me into his warm embrace.

I involuntarily give in, letting myself revel in the sensation of his presence, one last time inhaling his now faint aftershave.

"So. . . back to being strangers again, huh?" he asks, as if he wanted me to say something that would change his mind, but as much as I would love to, I can't. There is a girl that makes him smile, and more than anyone in this world, Nathan is the person who deserves to be happy.

"Yeah . . . strangers," I mutter in a croaky voice, and reluctantly pull away from him before I avert myself from the decision that I've just made. "It was good to see you, Nathan." I nod my head goodbye as he approaches the car.

"And you, silly." He winks his eye at me, pointing with his head at the bracelet that remains on my wrist. He then wrinkles a brow, noticing the sad grimace on my face. "He didn't say it, did he?" he questions, his voice is laced with concern. "He didn't tell you that you look beautiful."

"No, he didn't," I mutter, pressing my lips into a thin line. My heart sinks.

"But you do, and you always have. Remember this, Davina," he responds, making me involuntarily smile but as soon as he gets into the taxi and the car disappears from my sight, my smile shrinks into a gloomy grimace.

"Kai is going to pack the equipment and . . . Are you okay?" Will asks mildly, appearing out of nowhere.

"Yeah, sure." I clear my throat, wrapping my arms around my waist, shooting him a weak smile of reassurance.

"You seem tired. Let's order a taxi, shall we?" he asks, and wraps his arm around my waist when I nod my head in agreement.

And just like that, the party is over.

And you still didn't say it. I think to myself, a dark cloud of disappointment forms above my head. You didn't say that I look beautiful. My face falls, and together with it, so does the rain of sadness that washes my happiness away.
----------
Thank you so much for reading!