Chapter 11

Levi hitches the horses and wagon by what they call a livery, it’s a barn where you can stable your horse or rent a horse. Next we walk into a General store, there all kinds of things here, to name a few they have, food, clothing, fabric, buckets, and eating tools. As I glance around my eyes are drawn to a bowl of shiny colorful hard balls. Levi chuckles and pulls on out, “Add it to the bill, this guy has never seen or tried cand before.” The owner almost sneers at me and I hear him mumble under his breath, “Yea I bet he hasn’t nasty halfbreed.” Not hearing the insult Levi does nothing to defend me. 
As we walk out of the store I sniff the candy suspiciously, “Just pop it in your mouth and try it.” Levi says. Swallowing my fear I place the candy in my mouth, once the sugary ball hits my tongue I moan in satisfaction. This is the best food I have ever tasted, I wish I could eat it everyday for every meal. How is everyone not eating this all the time?
As I relish every inch of my sweet treat we walk into a very noisy room filled with smoke and the smell of that stinky water my old master used to drink. I warily follow Levi in, the smoke hits my lungs and I begin coughing while attempting to stay as close to Levi as I can. We reach a low wall that has seats placed in front of it. Levi sits down and asks for something. 
The owner returns with two cups, Levi hands one to me and drinks his own. I sniff the strange liquid. It burns my nose causing my face to scrunch up. Levi laughs at me, I notice I must bring much humor into this man's life. He motions for me to drink, I weakly grin and sip the dirty water, It burns my mouth and throat a thousand times worse than how it had smelled. 
I gag and gasp for air trying to tame the fires scorching my throat. Levi almost falls from his chair while his barking laughter fills the room. Why in the world are there so many people in this room drinking this deathly water instead of eating candy? Two legged make zero sense. Once Levi contains his laughter and quits making a scene I point my thumb to the door letting him know I’m gonna leave. “Alright, I’ll be here.” He says while getting a larger glass filled with a less dirty looking water, 
I quickly leave the strange place filled with strange things and begin walking on the wood that lays in front of all the buildings in town. I end up back at the livery in the comfort of the horses. It begins to rain and a slight chill enters the air. With nothing better to do I snoop around the barn. A loud clanging startles me causing me to turn around quickly. There is no one in sight which greatly puzzles me. Where did that noise come from? 
I walk outside of the barn and see someone bent over a high sitting fire holding metal sticks and pumping air into the fire. Curiosity takes over and my feet carry me over. The man bent over briefly glances in my direction, “What can I help you with young man?” I point to the fire and then to my eyes. He sits puzzled for a short minute then nods his head, “You can stay and watch all you would like.” I smile and sit on a barrel facing the fire. 
He is trying to shape something but I can’t tell what it is, he keeps reheating the iron and then banging on it with a hammer. Through time and patience I sit and watch the whole process, once he completely cools the iron off he walks over to a horse tied up nearby, he lifts their front hoof and checks the fit. He then grabs some very skinny nails and nails the iron to the horses hoof. 
Amazement overwhelms me, so that's how that gets there, I bet that horse will love having shoes to protect its feet just like I do. After watching the man for a while longer I start to get chilled and make my way back to Levi. The rain has quickly formed a muddy slush on the ground that crunches under the pressure of my boots. My feet soon become wet and the water seeps through the leather reaching my sock covered feet. The horses and wagons kick mud in the air speckling me in brown from head to toe.
Rain splashes against my hat and water trickles from the brim, I once again walk inside the smoke filled building but knowing what to expect this time I breathe through my mouth to keep the smoke out of my eyes. I scan the room searching for Levi so we can leave and get back to the cabin where there is a fire and warmth waiting to reach our bones. I find him playing cards with another man at a green painted table in a corner of the room. I weave through the many people, once I reach my destination I sit down at glance at the man Levi is playing with.