Chapter 1

He wasn't making this any easier by kicking my sides. It just made it worse, it hurts more than you can imagine. The shocking stab of his pointed boot makes the pain shoot through my nerves forcing any energy I have out of my body. Twenty one, twenty two, twenty three. He always stops at twenty three. That's how old his wife was when she got murdered by wolves or "murderous heathens" as my master calls us.

It is dark out, it always is when he beats the life out of me. I practically crawl to my corner of safety and security. I know he's not going to feed me tonight. He never does anymore. It's always just beatings and more yelling, to the point I can barely hear. He continues to drink the strange smelling liquid from the brown bottle. He drinks that often, I wonder why he drinks so much, it doesn't take near that much to get rid of thirst, he would be good for a solid month with the amount he drinks, and why does he purposefully consume such stinky dirty water, is he trying to get sick?

So many questions about the two legged creature but no one to answer them. I suppose my kind will never learn their strange ways. After many attempts to get comfortable I fall asleep on the cold hard floor. No matter how I lay my bruises and cuts are pushed against the uneven dirty wooden planks. But I would never even think of moving to the soft straw stuffed bed. First, and last, time he threatened to end my life with a bullet.

I wake up before the sun and two legged, this is good, they normally wake at the same time but the two legged, unlike the cheerful sun, always yells and moans the loudest after he wakes. I go to the small part of the wall that moves and slip my paw under it, it opens and I slide out. I slowly and painfully make my way down to the cold crisp river that is just below the dead tree shelter and drink as much as I can to get my strength up for my morning hunt. I was hoping my mate would be here waiting for me but she must be finding her daily meal somewhere else

There are many fish swimming and splashing around on this crisp morning so my meal is not far away. The two legged are very strange because they sit and wait for the fish to come to them on a stick and string. In my personal opinion I believe that they don't like to get dirty and are rather lazy. I easily catch a few of the cold delicious creatures and have a hearty meal. By the time I'm done the sun has fully awakened and so has my master. He walks out of the dead tree shelter and sees me.

"Ryker, come here you good for nothing piece of..." He starts his yelling and that causes me to cower in fear. I can't do this anymore, escaping from him and living a peaceful life with my mate is the only chance of survival . He grabs his fire spouting stick and shoots with no mercy. I feel the metal skin my tail and that causes my balance to falter. I slip on the wet rocks and come to a hard crashing halt on the ground. I lay here unable to get up. My back leg is stuck between two rocks and my tail stings like the devil, my bones feel crushed. My eyes close and I meet darkness.

I enter a world of beauty and peace, there are woods and a creek just deep enough for me to walk in and not have to swim, the birds are chirping and there are more of my kind, they are happy and so am I. Nothing hurts and all my wounds are healed. I bound towards my family, suddenly the sun goes to sleep and the moon wakes up with a roaring grumble. The rest of my kind has left and the chirping birds change into ravens, I feel the pain of my wounds rush through my body.

My master comes up from behind me and wraps his cold hand on the scruff of my neck, he shoves me under the cold now rushing stream. Water rushes up my nose and starts creeping into my lungs, my eyes bulge open in fear! To my surprise I'm in the dead tree shelter, I am laid out on the third ground. My owner stands over me with a now empty canteen."You darned mutt, I knew you weren't dead." He roughly pushes me off the third ground and onto the first. I rush to my corner as fast as I can.

I can't begin to fathom why the two legged keeps me and wants me to stay if all he does is just beat on and hate me. I cower in my dark corner as he drinks the foul water and stumbles around the dead tree shelter. He is trying to find something but I dare not look because him being in the mood he is currently in he would probably cause me to hurt worse than I already am. My new injuries feel like knives stabbing my body, my leg and tail are covered in dried blood. I decide to try and lick my wounds clean and hope for healing.