Chapter 7

I rush towards the struggling duo, I yank the rope from Listens to Horses hands and grab a hold of his shoulder trying to pull him from the pond. "What is wrong with you? You are scaring the horse. What's wrong." I try to explain but just end up growling at the water. Little River bumps my arm with his nose and I instantly feel relieved.

Listens to Horses studies us for a brief moment, "Why don't you try to lead him in the water." I look at him then look at the horse, with a nod from me we slowly walk up to the edge of the pond. Anxiety is quick to return to both of us and Little River rears once again and the rope slips from my hands.

Instead of trying to force him back I just let him freely stand and watch as I sniff the water and begin to drink from it, I slowly step into it's muddy grips but nothing happens, walk farther into it until it reaches my hip. Cautiously he follows my steps, first sniffing the water then slowly taking more steps towards me till he stands by my side.

With a chuckle and a shaking of his head Listens to Horses also joins me in the pond, "You definitely have a gift, now let's see just what you can do with it." Placing the rope in Little River's mouth we tie it beneath his chin and loop the rest around his neck. Listens to Horses describes the use for each piece and how to sit on the horse.

With his help I softly land on top Little River's back, uncertainty nests inside my mind. He slowly backs out of the water and Little River attempts to take a step towards him, with the unfamiliar weight on his back his step falters. Fear entwines itself in my heart and drags it down into my stomach.

Anxiety turns to confusion which is infused with frustration, as I try finding out how to cope with my feelings Little River attempts to throw me off. His front legs fling water and mud into the air and lash out above his head. "Hold on with your legs and grab a chunk of mane!" I heed his words but begin sliding off his smooth back. "Grab your reins and pull him into some circles!" Listens to Horses instructs me how to keep him from rearing and bucking and he quickly gets worn out from fighting the water and thick mud.

Once I am able to steer him left and right I squeeze my heels into his now soaked side and we lunge out of the water and up a steep hill. With no more deadly attempts to throw me coming from Little River, we decide to ride him back to the herd and call it a day. Moon Teller is waiting for us by the river with two bowls of corn mush and venison.

After we eat I ask if there is anything more for me to do or if I could go for a walk, Moon Teller grants me some alone time so I head down stream where the water enters the woodland. I step lightly on the stone covered bank occasionally jumping onto a big rock half emerged in the water. My mind travels far away like the birds flying above my head.

I remember when my old master and his wife first got me, I stumbled upon them one day while they were eating lunch on a blanket in the tall grass. The masters wife glanced over at me and a smile spread across her face, "Look Butch, it's a little wolf pup!" My master grabbed a gun and pointed it at me, "Margret be careful, you don't know if the mother is a round or not." She just shrugged his words off and reached a hand out and around my scruff then picked up my small frame and held me close.

"Honestly Butch, just look at him, he is harmless! Can I keep him please?" With a heavy sigh my master agreed, that day I was taken to the dead tree shelter and away from my mother and siblings. Hearing a twig snap brings me out of my memories, I crouch down in the cool long grass and watch to see if I'm being followed. Much to my happiness I see a doe and her fawn pick their way down to the stream and drink from it's cold being.

I smile at their peaceful state and watch as they leave after getting their fill. I truly enjoyed working with Little River today, it was as if I could feel what he was going through and could sense things that Listens to Horses couldn't pick up on. I hope I will be allowed to continue helping him train the other horses.

I continue walking along the bank, my thoughts ripple over the recent changes and events like the water rippling across the rocks. I catch movement out of the corner of my eye, squinting I try to find what has distracted me, the tail of a wolf vanishes into the woods. With curiosity I follow the beautiful creature. She quickly runs through the brush and having two less legs slows me down but she never runs so far ahead that I can't see her, something is familiar about her but I'm not sure what it is.