Chapter 4

Once alone I am able to concentrate on some of the new things I am having to adjust to. To start with there are clothes, never thought I'd be wearing another animal. They are different than anything I have ever felt before, they rub against my skin every time I slightly move. Then eating with fingers, who would have thought, eating with twigs that grow from your body, kind of like a tree. Who knows what else I will have to learn, I think the worst is over with, with this thought I drift off to sleep.

When I wake my legs begin to hurt, how I wish I was able to walk, that's when it hits me, the one thing I have been dreading, needing to pee. Moon Teller says that when a two legged uses the bathroom they do so in private and that it is indecent to do so in front of other two legged. I will never understand their mysterious ways. Not knowing when Moon Teller will return I try dragging myself across the ground towards the open flap. The rays from the sun dance on my pale face, nearing my deliverance, a shadow overcasts my body and blocks the sunlight. "What are you up to?" Moon Teller stands tall as his demanding question weighs in the air. I try to explain but all that seems to be expressed is a whine out of my nose. "Why are you trying to leave?" The answer dawns on him as he notices my curled appearance. He calls on a friend and they try to help me stand, Moon Teller grabs one arm and drapes it over his shoulder; his friend does the same to the other.

I let my legs loosely lay on the ground as I pull myself up with my arms, next I must place my weight on one leg while allowing my other leg to move forward. I place weight on my left leg and use Moon Teller to support my right side, I alternate for each step and slowly we make our way to some woods. Once under the cover of the trees I am left alone, leaning against a tree. Moon Teller thought he would let me figure this part out by myself. After some complications I call him back with a quiet howl.

After another tedious journey back to the shelter I am placed back down and once again am forced to try and eat with my fingers. While eating Moon Teller talks of his people's heritage and beliefs. He tells story after story, the details of each individual tale begin combining and are unremembered by the time he brings our time to a close. I eagerly lay on my sleeping area and quickly fall asleep.

The next morning Moon Teller tells me he will be teaching me how to properly clean and dress myself. "You will need to learn how to take care of yourself and be self sufficient." he explains, I finish up my morning meal as he explains what each piece of clothing is used for and what time of year it is to be worn. Once he tells me about all of them he places the clothing selection in front of me and now as a test I must choose what to wear today. I pick out a heavy long sleeved shirt with some leggings and fur moccasins. He nods in approval and instructs me as I dress. I then somewhat walk and somewhat get dragged outside. The crisp green grass has been replaced by a fluffy blanket of white snow. The village people are busy at work and I would love to observe their way of life but according to Moon Teller I am not ready to see them and we need to take my lessons one step at a time rather than try to learn everything at once.

We walk on a windy trail that slithers through the woods, I see a few flowers that have missed the nightly frost, poking their heads above the pure snow to try and reach the sun's rays. A loud crunching underneath my leather shoes reminds me that I no longer have fur covered paws as we continue our journey I notice that I sink deep into the snow, while still in my wolf form I had webbing between my toes that kept me above the snow making it easy to move. As if walking wasn't hard enough.

I receive a humorous grin from Moon Teller, "I thought this would be a chore, but watching you try to walk in the snow is making it worth it." Wicked man, I think to myself. I struggle to walk through the deep snow and I fall many times making me tired and angry, the only thing I receive from Moon Teller is a humorous laugh which helps me in no way. We slowly make our way to the creek that has just now thawed.