Chapter 4

Chapter 4: You're Hired!

I went to the same building a week later and took the housekeeping course.

It wasn't hard, actually and I was supprised to see so many young girls at the place.

Among them was one of Karin's friends and after the course, where we got to relax and wait for our results to come back, I stared. She caught me and immediately went pink.

"One word", she hissed and drew her index finger to her throat. I gave a cheeky smile and went to eavesdrop on some other girls.

"I'm surprised that we are getting our results back so early!", one exclaimed.

"Yeah, I would've expected them to be given back at least next week", another one added.

"It's because being a maid is easy, and the course is quite easy too. Maybe it's also because this company is pretty good so they are keeping their high level up by getting more and more maids hired quicker"

It was a while until a lady in a white tube dress, with nude heels and her hair, formally tied up in a bun, walked in. She cleared her throat and all eyes were on her.

"Results", she simply said, and handed out pieces of paper to everyone. As the lady went around, the room filled with sighs and squeals.

I waited anxiously for mine and when the lady finally came to me, I snatched it out of her hand and felt my face light up.

I got 22 out of 25 for the cleaning course. I passed! We were then told that the girls who passed were to meet next Saturday at the building to be picked out and hired by householders.

*week skip* (sorry I'm lazy)

There were only half as many girls as last time and we all waited in a different big room, all white and spacious, with a window that allowed you to see to the next room, full of cubicles of droning people, typing like robots in their grey corner, not even moving their heads.

In this room, a few desks were lined out and ladies were on the phone to customers. Angry customers.

"Y-yes ma'am, last time you wanted a random selection so we gave you a random maid", she looked impatient, "yes, well I'm sorry that she was impolite. Would you like a different mai-", I could here the shouting in the phone.

"W-well, we do offer a handpick of maids if you would like to, you can come and pick which maid you would like, although some maids do not wish to move into the household, only go back home each night", the lady tried her best to sound calm, "ok, ok, yes ma'm, thank you, ma'am", she put the phone down and rubbed her forehead.

As each hour went by, more and more girls were walking out the door, being randomly selected as maids for random households.

I was still here and there were only a few girls left with me. I was waiting on the couch and Kabuto walked in with a very pretty woman.

She had black hair that was out and she was wearing a navy blue dress. She looked pissed off but I could tell she was trying to hide it.

Kabuto caught my eye and winked at me, and I turned my head.

"Here we are, Ma'am", he said, "these are the last remaining maids for you to pick out"

She walked around the room inspecting the last of us and I could feel my palms sweat.

When she got to me she looked really closely into my eyes and gave a slight smile.

I swear I knew this woman from somewhere.