She would easily allow herself to suffer in order to make others happy, but what she didn't understand was that it wouldn't. Both Amira and I needed her... How could I get her to understand that?

"So um, how did yours go?" I attempted to break the odd tension.

She sighed heavily indicating it wasn't good. "Not great," she said shortly before continuing. "Daisy ignored us... Sam t-t-tried to act as if nothing happened, and well... Mason is g-g-going all dark on me again," she bit her bottom lip. "He sleeps longer a-and avoids going out of h-h-his room. So, to sum up, I w-w-wish I could have spent it with you Vanessa because m-maybe then I could finally celebrate Christmas."

"I wish you could have spent it with me too," I confessed in a whisper.

Her hand found its way into mine as she gave it a tiny squeeze. "That what's t-the future is for," she said with a warm smile, causing a wave of heat to wash over my cheeks.

She said it so easily without any second thoughts, it made me want to believe her, even though I knew better.

Soon she would leave whether it was going to be for college or something else. I didn't expect her to stay in this small town when there were so many things she wanted to see, yet I couldn't help it - I was falling for her.

Turning my head to the side in a poor attempt to hide a blush - something I've never done before - we haven't spoken till the end of the ride.

"This should be the place," she commented as she peeked outside of my window.

It was a nice large resort and I noticed Alexis gawking at it in awe. Come to think of it she did mention never leaving our town, so this must have made quite an impression.

We walked into a large lobby filled with customers even at such a late hour. I took few steps towards the reception, before realizing Alexis hasn't moved.

Frowning at her terrified expression I came up to her and embraced her hand in mine. This must have been a lot to take in for someone who wasn't used to the crowds.

"You could wait in the car, there's no reason to push yourself," I told her concerned.

Her large lost eyes looked into mine but quickly composed themselves while snapping back and forth between random people. 

She tensed up but took a deep breath. "Let's not w-w-waste time."

Not letting go of her hand I kept her close to my side while getting a room location from one of the receptionists.

Walking up the large wide staircase we got up to the second floor. This aquarium resort was larger than I anticipated, with its own hotel and shops, even I was taken aback by its size.

Knocking on the door, there was no answer. Slightly, irritated I took my phone ready to call the teacher.

"Alexis?" My daughter's quiet and sad voice caught our attention.

She stood on the other end of the hallway with red puffy eyes and a teacher by her side.

"Mommy?" breath hitched in my throat, she hasn't called me that in ages. "Mommy!" She gushed excitedly and ran straight into my arms. "I..I thought I would never see you," she sobbed into my shirt - my embrace tightening.

"Baby I would never leave you," I cooed her in my arms.

"But... they left me... I don't want you to leave," she cried and I allowed her to let it out.

A couple of minutes have passed before she has finally calmed down. Her orbs sparkled as she looked at Alexis who stood next to us. She hasn't seen her for more than a week, and so I wasn't surprised when she jumped out of my arms straight onto brunette's, who skillfully picked her up with a grin.