(5) Hearing The Music

"Katherine it is time." Lady Denver spoke. "Elizabeth are you ready." "Yes," Elizabeth answered "I am." The girls and their mother made their way down the stairs and were shown to the dinning room, It was a grand room with a large table stretching across it. The guest and Bridgerton family were beginning to seat themselves so the Denvers followed suite Katherine was sat beside Anthony much to the annoyance of Elizabeth, Elizabeth herself sat across the table beside Lord Byron and Benedict, Elizabeth had Eloise seated across the table beside Anthony, which was much to her delight she had wished to meet Eloise at the beginning of the London season but hadn't had the time, majority of her efforts were put into trying to keep Anthony away from Katherine. 

"Elizabeth if I may ask where did you go after the game?" Eloise asked beating her to asking a question. Anthony turned his attentions to Elizabeth, she ignored looking him in the eyes and focused on Eloise. "Oh I returned to the house, I thought my sister and mother might be wondering where I had went, I wouldn't want to worry them." Elizabeth said boldly lying. "I see, we just were worried that you had gotten lost, if Anthony didn't say he saw you exit the trees we most defiantly would still be their looking for you." Eloise said half joking, yet her light mood didn't stop the tension Anthony was giving off. Frankly Elizabeth was not sure why she now felt she knew when the Viscount entered a room before he entered it, and it was truly disturbing.

Other than the tension between Anthony and Elizabeth the dinner and festivities afterward were truly enjoyed. The music was a favourite of the night the piano was open to anyone that wished to play it and the band could almost play any song requested. The piano had been played by few and when Lady Bridgerton was talking with Lady Denver they must have been conversing of their children because Elizabeths exceptional piano skills were mentioned and before Elizabeth knew it she was seated with the keys in front of her. In high spirits she asked if there were any requests and after a moment of no one speaking a voice spoke. "Nymphs and Shepherd's Come Away, by Henry Purcell if you are familiar" It was Anthony. "You are in luck, I am familiar with Henry Purcell's Nymphs and Shepherd's Come Away. Do you wish for me to sing the vocals as well?" asked Elizabeth. "If you so wish too." Was Anthonys response. 

Elizabeth began to play the piece, she played it as if she had been practicing for years, the room was truly impressed but the crowed would be even more entranced as Elizabeth's angelic voice carried through the room. Anthony's had heard the piece played before but it he had never heard the music till that evening. Anthony almost didn't hear that she had finished the song as his mind was still riddled with the sweet sound of Elizabeth's voice as well as her exceptional skills in the piano forte that seemed to be hidden away from him. "Truly Exceptional, Bravo, Magnificent" Were some of the words thrown at Miss Elizabeth. "Thank You!" We're the only words she could get out. She turned to sit back in her seat only to catch the eyes of Anthony he was captured in the music and she was captured in his eyes of deep brown for she was drowning. She was saved by Katherine as she congratulated Elizabeth and linked arms with her taking her to sit down on one of the sofas. The rest of the evening was a blur for confusion ails them both.

~The Next Morning~ 

Elizabeth awoke at the same time as Katherine and they decided to head down to the breakfast room. "I'm famished how about you?" Katherine asked. "You must be you were quite busy having a staring contest with the Viscount." Elizabeth gasped and stopped dead in her tracks turning to Katherine. "You have to be joking I was not staring." Elizabeth explained "And beside I believe his interests are firmly on you."Elizabeth said as she returned to walking down the hall. "You must be joking the Viscount and me?" Katherine said shocked and humoured by the statement. "Yes, it's quite obvious, he dances with you at every ball and calls every morning after." Elizabeth hated telling Katherine this but she had to get her off the subject of herself and the Viscount as nothing happened after all. "Well yes, but I could never marry him, I do not love him." Katherine insisted. "Good." Was Elizabeths reply. "Good?"Katherine asked confused at Elizabeths lack of words. "Yes good, I do not think the Viscount would be good enough for my sister the diamond of the season." Elizabeth Explained. To which Katherine just giggled a response. The Breakfast prepared was remarkable, if only our chief was that advanced.

The days activities hadn't been planned and most of the guests would probably just sit and converse with one and other. Elizabeth dreaded days of just talking she much more preferred a life with balance of events and talk. So Elizabeth thought it best to take another walk as the first hadn't gone as planned, but it seemed fait would stop her walk yet again as Benedict had walked through the door of a room off tot he side and was heading for the front door he stopped as he saw that I was heading their as well. "Good morning Elizabeth." greeted Benedict. "Morning, where would you be heading off to?" Elizabeth inquired "Well the Bridgerton children hold a yearly Pall-mall game, so I guess I'm going there. Actually would you like to join us?" Benedict asked with a large smile forming on his face. "Oh no I would hate to intrude." Elizabeth said politely. "Nonsense I insist, It will be fun, and it's not just the Bridgerton children, we would love for you to play with us." said Benedict "Well I'm afraid I have never played Pall-mall before." "I'm sure you will learn fast, please it would be the most enjoyable." Reply Benedict whilst extending his hand as to accept his offer. "Well I guess." said Elizabeth as she took Benedicts arm and walked out the door to the lake where the field had now been said up in what Elizabeth had inquired to be the game of Pall-mall.

Anthony looked up to see Benedict walking with Miss Elizabeth on his arm, Anthony didn't know why the scene bothered him so but he gripped his mallet of death (The black mallet of the set of different Pall-mall mallets) as if he was about to club someone, once he realized what he was doing he calmed himself down.

"Look who I brought to join us, Miss Elizabeth Please meet my sister Daphne Basset the Duchess of Hastings and her husband Simon Basset Duke of Hastings." Benedict introduced. "How do you do your graces." Elizabeth replied politely "Please call me Daphne there are no formalities in Pall-mall." Daphne said. "and please call me Simon." interrupted Simon. "Have you ever played Pall-mall before?" Asked Daphne. "No I'm afraid not." Was Elizabeth's response. "Oh good this is Simons first game as well, though I must warn you the Bridgerton's are very competitive especially in Pall-mall." Daphne said whilst smiling."Yes very competitive Daphne sunk Anthonys red ball in the lake last year."Benedict said giving a nudge to Daphne "And how do we actually play Pall-mall?" Asked Elizabeth. "Well its simple really, you take your mallet and hit your ball and try and get it to go through the hoop markers we will rotate turns and who ever hits their ball though all the hoops wins." Daphne explained. Anthony was now walking to the group with coloured mallets in hand. "One more rule no cheering." Anthony insisted. No one replied. 

"Choose your colour." Anthony said coldly though his tone was directed to Benedict. "Ah yes well, I believe you should have the blue it matched your eyes and I shall take yellow. Who are we waiting for now?" Asked Benedict while handing me the blue mallet and taking the yellow. "Just Colin he is taking his time getting down here it seems." Daphne answered.