(2) The Debut Ball

The carriages were rolling up to the courtyard at Danbury's house one by one, the ton had made it a custom for the debut ball to be hosted by Lady Danbury's, although Lady Danbury really insisted upon it. "Anthony how long shall have to attend the ball?" Eloise whined. "Eloise, why has all your etiquette simply disappeared, you were famously respectable this morning while meeting the queen?" Anthony replied harshly. "Anthony, stop it" Lady Bridgerton chastised before turning to talk to Eloises. "Eloise, we will leave once we feel that you have made a respectable debut, alright dear it won't be two long." Eloises responded was a long sign and slouching back on the carriage bench.

The Bridgerton family was always popular and well respected and now that Daphne had married the Duke of Hastings last season their popularity grew even more.

As the esteemed family had made their way into the ballroom all eyes were on them, specifically Eloise, Anthony and Benedict. Colin was relived of the tons monstrous mothers for another week as he was not yet back from his travels in Peru. "Oh I wish the attention would be relived from us, I hate the staring" Whispered Eloise to her brother Benedict who replied with a sad smile as he really didn't care for it either. "Eloise you are too promenade for suitors now." Lady Bridgerton informed Eloise who had releases Benedicts arm and had grasped Anthonys giving him a displeasing look.

'The Bridgerton name has to be protected and Eloise has to know that.' thought Anthony during the first minutes of promenading.  "So I take it that your views on marriage have not changed then?" Anthony asked. "I shall be respectful and I will keep the Bridgerton name safe, but I will not marry." Eloise stated as if she had read Anthonys mind, Anthony was the head of the family and he had to keep his family safe and respected.  Anthony and Eloise had stopped promenading to talk to their mother and sister Daphne with her husband Simon. The conversation wasn't dull but Anthony found his mind else where, Anthony was thinking of his declaration and decision to marry the diamond of the season. 'The blonde was declared the diamond but what was her name, it was either Miss Elizabeth Denver or Miss Katherine Denver' The whole ton was waiting for the reveal of the girls name who would most certainly have a house full of suitors in the morning. 'Though really the brunette would be considered quite beautiful, if it were not that her beautiful blonde sister had been with her, but I don't need to think of the brunette. The blonde will be my bride, I just have to convince her of that first.' 

Carriage by carriage, one by one guests had entered Danbury house almost all with smiling faces. The Denver carriage had finally arrived, the sisters and their mother were helped out of the carriage by the footman. Elizabeth had stood admiring the beautiful house before Katherine had linked arms with her and the pair and their mother were escorted to the ballroom and to say the least the Bridgerton's would get their wish. The ton had all turned to admire the diamond of the season, who they were still unsure of her name.

"They are all staring Beth, isn't this wonderful." Katherine whispered to Elizabeth as they walked further into the large ball room which was adorned with many paintings and beautiful arches designed in the roof. "Yes Kathy you are quite right they are truly mesmerized by you." Elizabeth said lovingly. The Denver sisters were immediately approached by a middle aged man with rotting teeth and foul breath, they were praying for someone to save them from conversing with the foul man. Then the pair was saved by a tall and handsome man with dark flowing hair, and eyes of brown with a little gold around the iris. Elizabeth found herself quite attracted to the man that was till he started talking, he seemed cold and harsh, but he still introduced himself his name and title was The Viscount Anthony Bridgerton and it was only polite to introduce ourselves.

"How do you do." Katherine spoke softly then turned and introduced me "This is Miss Elizabeth Denver and I am Miss Katherine Denver."

'Finally the diamond had a name' Anthony thought to himself. "Lovely to make both you're acquaintances." Anthony spoke softer after realizing his tone with his greeting was not very helpful in his endeavour to have Miss Katherine Denver accept his future proposal. "Miss Katherine will you do me the honour of a dance?" Anthony asked in his most endearing voice. "I would love to but I am in need of a refreshment, but I'm sure Elizabeth would be happy to take my place for now." Katherine said turning to get Elizabeths agreement. "Oh, uh I suppose I could take your place for now." Elizabeth said grudgingly but with a smile. 'Katherine knew that she was beautiful, and she knew that the viscount was interested in her not Elizabeth, so what was she up too.' The dance she would take part in with the viscount, would be purely to find out if he would suite well with Kathy and she would keep it at that.

"Miss Elizabeth, I must be honest with you my intentions were for Miss Katherine and, I do not wish to lead you astray." Anthony spoke calmly. "Viscount, I hope you know that this dance is only for my sister, she trusts my judgment and I'm quite Sure that her excusing herself was so I could inform her if you shall be a worthy suite or not" The last word Elizabeth spoke was filled with strength. 'I have heard of girls trusting their fathers and brothers or even mothers to ensure their suitors worthiness, but never of one entrusting their sister' Anthony was truly shocked at Elizabeths statement. "Don't you think that job should be in the hands of one of the males in your family?" Anthony questioned. "We have no close males that Katherine would entrust the job with as our father died two years ago and we have no brothers, the closest male relative would be my fathers uncle, an old man who is on his death bed. So no, I am her only suitable choice wouldn't you think?" As Elizabeth was slowly beginning to get annoyed at this mans talking, the music for their dance had begun and with that the Viscount took Elizabeth's hand and lead her to the floor placing his vacant hand on her waist as they began, Elizabeth placing her hand on his shoulder they started to move. The intricate dances were well know to all and quite entertaining to watch and partake.

"Miss Elizabeth I must say that your dancing is quite established" Anthony spoke in between spins. Anthony knew that in order to get Miss Katherine, he would have to get the approval of Miss Elizabeth. "Thank you, I must say you are worthy of the same compliment. Now what is it that you plan to do with my sister." Elizabeth spoke forcefully. "I beg your pardon?" Anthony Said, flabbergasted at her bluntness. "You said you had intentions for my sister, what are they?" replied Elizabeth. "Oh I see, well I plan on courting her and marrying her, if you must know." Anthony said returning to his regular tone as he final realized that he didn't need the support of Miss Elizabeth. "Well from what I have experienced you will have a hard time convincing her of allowing that." Elizabeth said distastefully. Elizabeth could normal control her temper but this man everything he did infuriated her. "Well you're not the one who gets to choose." Anthony said boyishly, when really he was Angry, 'This woman was outspoken, rude and so infuriating.' "Viscount take this how you will but I think this conversation and dance is over" Elizabeth said before she pulled her self away from Anthony. "Yes I believe it is." Was Anthonys reply. And the conversation was truly over. Stepping off the floor and walked to where Katherine was, Anthony did the same but in the opposite direction, walking to Eloise. 

"Elizabeth, what happened?" Katherine asked as she had watched scene unfold. "Nothing, I just wish that you think twice before getting entangled with the Viscount" Elizabeth said harshly.

"Anthony, what was that all about?" Asked Eloise, she was talking with Penelope as she saw the abrupt end to her brothers dance with Miss Denver. "Nothing, dear sister do you still wish to leave, I believe I will allow it." Anthony declare " We'll yes although I just got to talk with Penelope." Eloise said with a frown on her face. "It's alright Eloise I will come over tomorrow after any callers have left" Penelope said with a smile. "Alright, see you tomorrow Pen." Eloise said as her and Anthony walked to go and find their mother. "Mother, I believe Eloise has made an executable debut and that it is time to retire." Anthony said sternly. Lady Bridgerton was going to protest but the look in her sons eyes was stopping her. ' Anthony looked angry and hurt but why?' And with a nod from Lady Bridgerton the three were in the carriage, and then the time flee by and they were leaving the carriage in-front of Bridgerton house.