11: Apologies and Jobs

Olive POV

It's been a week.

A week since the tears I fought so hard to stop fell.

A week of apologies from Tyler, Adam, and Jake.

A week since anyone has challenged me in the ring

A week since my last fight

A week since I've smiled without Carter near.

A week since everyone knew my secret

I feel empty. Fighting helped me believe I wasn't weak. Now everyone hates that I'm an 18 year old nerd, streetfighter.

They look down on me. I get left alone at school. Everyone gives me pitying looks.

I dropped my nerd act. I've been dressing how I want. Everyone was shocked by my hair and real self.

Still after all this Tyler still thinks I'll join his gang. He wrecked my life for what?

The teachers leave me before. I haven't spoken to anyone besides Carter for a week now. I think my brother notices but he doesn't say anything.

2 days ago I stopped going to the underground and looked for a job. I got hired at a fucking expensive restaurant as a waiter.

I hate it. But I need money for me and Carter. I'm heading outside to my bike that's now parked in the school parking lot. I no longer hide it.

Tyler's on my bike. He's running his hands through his hair. His eyes are closed. When I go over I squeeze behind him and hop on my bike.

His green irises shine when he snaps his eyelids open.

"Olive I'm so sorry! I didn't think you would have to stop fighting because of it! I'm sorry! You have to join my gang now though."

I give him an emotionless look and I see him visually flinch. When I go to put my helmet on he grabs me wrist.

"If you don't join my gang I might just have to bother that sweet brother of yours." He threatens.

I completely ignore his bitchy threat and look at his hand on my arm.

"Let go of me." I growl out. He moves so fast it's like I turned into fire.

"You either join my gang or I'll take Carter." He tries again. For the first time this whole week I look him straight in the eye.

He looks suprised by my eye contact but stares back. I slowly get up and fill my blank expression with all the rage inside me.

"Tyler. I swear to every God in the sky that if you lay one hand on my brother. I will chop it off, shove it down your throat and bathe in the bliss as I watch you eyes flutter close and never open again."

He gulps and backs up.

"You still underestimate me. I watched the life drain out of my parents eyes when I was 15 because two gangs were fighting. I will never join yours. Another threat and I'll make sure to hide your body where no one will ever find it."

Without another glance I start my bike and drive away.

Tyler POV

I've watched for a week as Olive drags herself around the school, looking like she shook hands with death.

She eyes are gloomy and her face pale. I haven't heard her soothing voice in a week.

I miss the mysterious glint in her eye when I saw her in the hallways. I miss her smile when she would get something right.