"You are s-s-staring Ms. Jones," her smugly words and confident smirk has brought me back and I quickly turned away.

Scratch everything - Girl was a brat.

Finally finishing up I began to pack, eagerly anticipating my time with Alexis. I wanted to hold her in my arms because the shadows of her touch always remained. Ever since getting a taste of her presence, every day without her was torture. Evenings seemed empty without her playing with Amira and laughing happily as we cooked dinners and watched movies.

I knew it wasn't good but was it bad? Was it really that bad to allow someone into our lives? To allow myself to relax and find comfort?

I was a single mother for crying out loud. Sure, Ann was there for us and bless her soul for that, but mentally I had no one. And as much as I always thought I didn't need it, I longed for a connection, for someone to be there for me. Even though I didn't want to admit it, keeping everything together on my own was overwhelming.

There were many things that bothered me, but I knew she had them too – The what-ifs. So, as long as we decided not to overcomplicate things, I was going to keep on pushing them to the side and simply enjoy the moments we were going to share.

"Here," Alexis held out my coat, helping me to put it on. "Let m-m-me take these," she picked the folders up before I could disagree.

"I'm not old you know..." I huffed slightly offended.

The smaller brunette – mostly due to my heels – sighed and shook her head.

"First of all, I don't care if you are forty or t-t-twenty," she began, and I snorted not believing her words. "You make m..me feel happy and content. I never felt that b-before. And so," she came up closer and softly kissed my cheek. "I care of nothing else," she added right after.

My heart was beating widely against my chest, how could she make me feel this way? No girl I ever dated or hooked up with was capable of such a thing. She is the first to see me acting so insecurely, and yet it didn't bother me.

"Also, t..the only reason I'm t-t-taking these is that I need an excuse to walk you to your car," she smiled exposing a line of white pearls.

"Smartass," I remarked, trying to hide a smile. "Come on, let's go home," I said as I headed towards the exit.

She seemed to be needing a second, before composing herself and running after me. Once she caught up, we walked through the hallway and my stoic mask came back on. I didn't want to raise any suspicions; However, it was never this hard to contain my feelings. It's almost as if someone handed her the code to my heart and she knew exactly how to use it.

"You t-t-think it's fine for me t-to just enter your car?" Alexis asked, as she anxiously looked around.

"Firstly, this parking lot is massive, and no one pays us any attention," I pointed around us. "Secondly, if ever confronted about this I can easily say I just gave you a ride home. It's not a crime to enter teachers' car you know," I chuckled and unlocked the car.

"O-okay..." she hesitantly complied and got in.

We drove in comfortable silence, accompanied by the sound of rain. It was the beginning of January, and I just realized I didn't know her birthday – What if I was going to miss it? That would be unforgivable.

"Hey," I broke the silence, and she turned her attention away from the window. "I was wondering if you could tell me when your birthday is..."

She looked at me puzzled. "Thought, y-y-you knew. It's in my files."

I rolled my eyes. "Sure, but then it would be a bit... You know," I mumbled unsure of how to put it.

She hummed and focused back on the outside view. "Second of March," she said shortly. "How about y-you?"