CHAPTER 21

I turned around to take a look at the source of the voice which just called Carter and when I turned around, I saw a very young, pretty, and elegant looking lady walk up to us with a bright smile on her face.

"Carter oh my God, I can't believe it's you" she said smiling as she walked over to us happily.

"Rene?" Carter said as I looked over at him and noticed the huge smile on his face as he stood up and gave her a warm hug, lifting her off from the ground.

"Oh, my goodness it's been ages" she said as she pulled away from his hug and placed her hands softly around his face.

I felt so lost and confused as the kept on talking ignoring my presence. We were just in the middle of a conversation, I thought to myself as I looked at how familiar they were with each other.

I cleared my throat reminding them of my presence when she turned to look at me with her hands on his chest and his around her waist.

"Oh, where are my manners, Rene this is Kendra an.... acquaintance of mine, Kendra this is Rene" she said bringing her hand out for a handshake. I stood up and shook her hand as Carter introduced me to her.

An acquaintance, that's what I am to him. I thought as I put on a brave smile.

"It's very nice to meet you, I hope I was not interrupting anything" she said smiling my way.

"No, we were just having a um..." Carter said as he stumbled for words.

I wanted to scoff at how he was behaving, but I didn't let any of my emotions show.

"No, you weren't, in fact I was just leaving" I said picking up my bag.

"Oh, I hope that's not because of me, I can leave if you want, I didn't mean to interrupt your conversation" she said as she fiddled with her fingers worriedly.

"No, no" Carter and I said almost at the exact same time.

"It's just that I have to get back to the office" I said as I took a look at my watch, pretending to be very busy.

"It was really nice to meet you though, Carter we'll talk later right?" I said to him as he looked at me with an expression I couldn't decipher.

"Right" he said shortly as Rene took the seat I had just left, and I turned my back to Carter and started heading out of the café.

Please stop me, please stop me, call me back, hold me, do something dammit. I thought to myself as I walked towards the exit but alas, he didn't.

I walked out of the café sad and disappointed with tears brimming in my eyes, I get what I told him was shocking, but I expected more. Maybe I just need to give him time I said to myself as I casted a worried glance at the window seeing him and Rene talking comfortably.

She was perfect for him, and I knew that, and they didn't seem like strangers, they seemed rather.... intimate. With a final glance at them I went into the back seat of my car as the driver took me back to the office.

Throughout the rest of the day, I was sad and gloomy as I waited for Carter to call me, or text me or anything, but nothing happened, I didn't hear a word from him.

Seconds turned to minutes as minutes turned into hours and hours turned into days and days into weeks. 3 weeks, that's how long it has been, and I still hadn't heard a word from him.

To be honest I gave up on hearing from him after the first week, there were so many tabloids going around, magazines with pictures of him and Rene and I assumed that was his answer. He just didn't want to waste his time on someone who was going to die, and to an extent I understood that I was prepare for rejection when I met him that day, but the least he could do was reply me at least, he at least owed that to me, it was common curtesy.