𝐚 𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝 (𝟏𝟑)

Start from the beginning

"Let's do this," Reiner took his stance and so did Layla.They both took deep breaths as their minds filled with attacks to use against each other.

Reiner struck first, immediately bringing his right foot up to Layla's face. Layla ducked, dodging it with ease as she brought her left leg to Reiner's side. Reiner didn't even flinch as he took his fist and connected it with the right side of Layla's face.

Layla didn't react. She knew every second was valuable in the game of combat. Layla kicked Reiner right in the middle of him stomach. He stumbled back but quickly went for another punch to Layla's face. Wrong move. Layla's right arm protected her face, blocking Reiner's punch. Layla followed with a left hook, hitting his jaw with full force.

The both of them took a step back, creating distance. Layla winked at Reiner, taking her stance once again. Reiner touched his lip and looked at his fingers. His lip was busted. He ran towards Layla with full speed. Layla simply moved out of her way. Reiner was no longer fighting like a soldier, he was fighting like a madman. It was supposed to be a fun, simple fight. But of course, Reiner made it more. This worried Layla but no too much.

Layla stood there to take a deep breath but gasped as Reiner grabbed her from behind, locking her in a choke hold with his elbow. Layla gripped Reienr's arm, throwing him over her shoulder. Reiner's back hit the ground with full force and Layla straddled over him, pinning his wrist to the ground. Reiner swallowed hard and panted quickly.

He locked eyes with Layla. They both smiled. Layla got off of him and grabbed his hand, pulling him from the ground. They hugged and patted each other's back.

"I'll beat your ass next time, Danford." Reiner said as he dusted himself off.

"I doubt it," she smiled at her and turned around to face Levi, Landon, and Zeke.

"Good enough for you, captain?" she asked with a straight face.

"Perfect. Good job, cadet." he gave a sincere smile and she ignored it. Levi looked at the ground and shook his head in embarrassment. Layla looked at Landon who clearly wasn't fazed. She frowned and her eyes made their way to Zeke's.

"That was badass, Layla." Zeke licked his lips and stuffed his hands in his pockets. Layla winked and turned around to join the rest of her squad.

Levi directed the squad to grab partners, as they were going to before. They continued to train until the skies went dark and the air grew cold. Today was probably the roughest day she spent with the scouts. Now was everyone's favorite time of the day. Dinner.

Landon and Zeke left with Levi to meet Hange while the rest of the squad went to the cafeteria. They all gathered their food and sat at their regular table. Awkward silence hushed across the table.

"Sooo, Eren. You and Zeke have the same last name. Are you two related in any way?" Sasha asked awkwardly, trying to break the silence. Everyone stared at Eren as they were wondering the same question all day. Eren just poked at his food.

"Yeah. He's my older brother." He said, looking away from the table. Jean elbowed him, hoping to make him more comfortable.

"Why didn't you tell us you had an older brother, baby Yeager." Everyone giggled except Eren.

"I dont wanna talk about it. And don't call me that." Eren caused the table to hush again.

"Okayyyy, well what about you, Layla? What's up with your passive aggressive brother??" Sasha asked, breaking the silence once again. Connie smacked the back of her head and threw his hands up.

"What?? I'm just asking what everyone else is thinking!" Sasha rubbed the back of her head then stuffed potatoes in her mouth.

"No, it's okay. I don't really know what's up with him actually. I haven't seen him in a very long time," Layla looked down at the table, "So I'll just have to talk to him alone."