Star-Crossed [Kakashi] for L. Em

"But I'm telling you something is out there."

"That's nice, Kei." The young woman huffed at her older brother who tended to the fire.

"You don't believe me." The man said nothing. "It was in the distance. It didn't look like anyone we know."

"We're the only ones out here. There is no one else and you better not let father hear you talking like that... again."

Her jaw clenched, but chose to ignore that last comment. Her brother, Aaron, wouldn't even so much as look at her. Not since the bruise on her cheek formed, making the area swell. He should feel guilty.

"It would be wonderful if-"

"You saw nothing."

Anger boiled in her veins. "I don't think you understand, he is killing me-"

"You're only speaking like this because they've gone out on the hunt."

"I won't survive. You know that, Aaron, and don't you dare tell me otherwise. One day he will go too far and I won't stick around to find out when that is."

"You think I care?"

That stung, trying to stay strong. "But I want you to come with me," the young woman whispered.

"Just go and do whatever you want."

The anger was quickly back. There was no love here. Women we only seen as a worthless items in this family... but she could hardly even call themselves that. Just a group of people who we slowly killing themselves. They were once great, but like the harsh, frozen landscape on the outside of their cave everything was slipping away, crumbling.

There was only one thing that had kept Kei going as of late. A dream of a place that was not covered in snow. One where the sun shone and there was a forest filled with lush plant life. It was warm, while walking down the trail and doing so she would come upon a man. They were startled when they first met, but each time she came it almost grew more natural to be around the other. And very few words had to ever be said. That was when Kei began seeing the thing in the distance. On the long walks the young woman would take to try and distance herself from the cave for a while something drew her feet to walk in a certain direction. And she saw the dark outline of an unknown figure.

"Fine." Moving away from his back, and the fire, Kei tugged the parka closer against her body. To hell with the blizzard outside. She'd rather brave the elements then stay here a second longer. The hood was pulled up and tied around the chin so it stayed in place. Let Aaron for once feel the hand of their father against him because once realizing she was gone he would be angry.

When the young woman's footsteps had disappeared, Aaron's brows furrowed. "Kei?" There was no answer and he stood abruptly, whirling around. The man panicked. "Kei!"

He ran outside, barely seeing his younger sister's silhouette in the distance. It kept being obscured by the gust of wind that sent the snow on the ground and falling from the sky into a frenzy. "Kei!" he attempted yelling over the roar. "Kei!"

She could just hear him, not daring to look back. Eyes squinting at the far mountain range there was a figure who stood still. Kei paused, staring at them. This was how the two had been meeting each other as of late, at a distance. But she could never make out their features. Only when the minutes began to tick by they would finally turn away and walk towards the mountain. But the young woman never went with them. This time, however, when the person turned away, cloak moving in the wind she followed.