Could Get Used To This [Gaara]

"This sucks!" Sonia exclaimed, slamming down the glass in hand. "Who the hell died and made him King? Who does he think he is?"

Gaara sat beside his friend of twenty years, lightly swirling the drink in his glass. It was a mild version of sake, only giving him a mild buzz. He listened as Sonia continued to rant about her situation. He wasn't any better water either. Both of them had a similar problem.

"'You have been summoned to Master Toya's Estate'," she mocked, rolling her eyes at the end. "Do they think I'm a dog that can be commanded? Oh how I would like to get my hands around his little neck," she growled, finishing off her drink. The bartender came and took the glass, going to refill it.

A smirk twitched at the corner of his lips. "We're in the same situation..."

Sonia cocked an eyebrow, looking over at him from the corner of her eyes. "What?"

Gaara sighed. "I got a letter today as well. Some Lord on the other side of the Desert wants me to marry his daughter." He grumbled slightly. "On top of that, it seems that my father had made a deal with him."

"And that would be...?"

"If I did not marry before the age of twenty-one, I would be forced to marry her... Well, I'm twenty-one... and have no bride..."

"We are fucked..." Sonia groaned, slamming her forehead down on the bar. "Ow..." The music played in the background, other peoples' chatter in the air. Still nothing could break their depressing mood.

"So..." Sonia finally spoke up. They had been sitting in silence for fifteen minutes. "What are we going to do?" She looked up, seeing her glass had reappeared. The girl downed it in one gulp, making Gaara cock an unseen eyebrow in response.

"What can we do?" he asked, shaking his head no when the bartender asked if he wanted another. "We have to go through with it."

"But I don't want to go to the Land of Waves! There's no sand there, and it rains all the time!" Sonia sighed heavily, shaking her head. "We'll never see each other anymore, Gaara. You know that right?"

"What are you talking about?" he asked, fear gripping his chest.

"I'll be in another land, and I can almost guarantee that Master Toya will pull me from the Ninja Squad so I can stay at home. Probably will want me to pop out a kid or two for him. And your wife-to-be? I know who you're talking about. I had to escort her some years back. Kept bragging about you and how the two of you would be together someday... never believed her, but I shouldn't have put it past her that she wouldn't get her way in that matter too. She won't let you out of her sight, and will cling to you like a leech. She'll be a jealous woman for the rest of her life, and will do everything in her power to make sure girls like me stay away." Sonia turned in her stool, looking out over the crowd. "Even if we're friends we'll probably never see each other again. And we only have a month or so till we meet our spouses." She shuttered at the thought.

Gaara knew Sonia had a point. Their time was short, and the day Sonia left with her escort to the Land of Waves, it would be the last time they saw each other ever again. He didn't want to loose his best friend.

"Isn't there anyway we could stop this?" he asked as Sonia downed another glass. She was drinking a lot tonight, and he still had yet to see her feel a buzz or even get tipsy.

"The only way out is to get married. And let's face it, neither of us are close to finding partners besides the ones we're being forced to marry."

Gaara was struck with an idea. A wild, crazy, totally insane idea. His eyes landed on Sonia, who still gazed out over the bar. "There... might be... one way..." he spoke up, drawing her attention.