Could Get Used To This [Gaara]

Mulai dari awal

"Oh?" Sonia asked, clearly interested.

"You just said it yourself." Gaara turned to face her. She looked confused. "We clearly don't have partners. Youneed a husband, and I need a wife to get out of this situation." Sonia's eyes sparked in realization, but he continued, "We both need something with similar interests."

The young woman grinned, turning to face her best friend. "Are you proposing to me, Gaara?"

A light blush came to his cheeks. "W-When you put it that way, you could say that," he muttered, suddenly shy.

"Hmm..." The idea intrigued her. Nothing had to happen after the vows were said. They were friends, and Sonia didn't think being married to him was all that bad, even though they were only doing it to help each other. "I'll think about it." She then hopped off her barstool. "I'll have an answer in the morning, okay?"

Gaara nodded. "Take your time."

Sonia smiled lightly before paying, and leaving. "Anything else for you, Kazekage?" the bartender asked, cleaning a glass.

Gaara looked over at Sonia's empty glass. "I'll have what she had."

The man cocked an eyebrow before saying, "Coming right up." When he returned, Gaara took the drink, sipping the liquid. The young man waited to feel the tingling sensation as the alcohol ran down his throat. However, it never came. Gaara looked at the glass questioningly before turning to the bartender.

"This is water," the Kazekage stated.

The bartender shrugged his shoulder. "You wanted what she was having. It's her usual drink." He then walked away.

Gaara stared at the glass in wonder. The drinking age was eighteen, Sonia was twenty, yet still, all these years they would come down to the bar together after long days at work, or when either of them got back from a mission, him from meetings outside Suna mostly, the whole time she had been drinking water.

He chuckled, setting down the glass and paying. "You still amaze me, Sonia," he muttered to himself, and left.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gaara was busy at work when a knock came to his door around noon. Sonia walked in and he couldn't help but feel his heartbeat increase. She had come with her decision. "So I thought about your proposal..." the young woman started, glancing away from his stare for a second. A light blush came to her cheeks.

"And...?" he asked when she didn't continue. He was on the edge of his seat.

Sonia sighed, looking Gaara in the eyes. "I'll do it. I do."

That was the best news he'd heard in his life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What do you mean you're engaged?" Gaara's ex-fiancé exclaimed. Sonia grinned from where she stood in the next room, listening through the walls. Nyla, that had been her name, had come immediately with her father when they heard the news. Toya had taken it better. Sonia sent him a letter stating the unexpected events, and he did not question her further. Nyla wasn't so easy to persuade. "I demand to see her!"

"I'll remind you that you're talking to the Kazekage," Gaara's deadly voice stated. "I'm not some Lord you can simply yell at."

Her father pushed her behind him. "Excuse Nyla for her rude behavior, but this has all come as a surprise. You made no notion that you were even dating."