How, Why...?

** Lia's P.O.V. **

The walk back to the grounds was a long one; made even worse by a constant urge to turn around and continue my chase after Dakota. My Dakota. I emphasized to myself. I couldn't keep my need to find her captor at bay and my territorial nature was beginning to show. Whoever did this would feel my wrath for

messing with my mate.

Regardless, Al was completely right to stop me from continuing down that highway. What was I going to do? Just run after every car I saw? This was why I needed Al with me, she had clarity in the moments I would be overcome by instinct. Still, as we made our journey back, the only thoughts that floated in my mind were those of the events that had just transpired.

My mate wandered away in the middle of the night. Someone had caught her along the way and taken her from me. They had trapped her, then drugged her, and then stole her. She could be hurt, or worse... I have to save her. I repeated to myself over and over again. A deep growl rumbled in my throat as that thought turned darker and darker with ever step home. Whoever did this, I told Al, is dead. I will taste their blood as I eviscerate them.

Without question. She replied. I didn't realize it then, but further down our trek home, I had the slightest clarity of mind to recognize that whatever these humans had done to my Dakota, had affected her Frankie. Both of us were in agreement that this was unacceptable.

As I recalled Frankie's sudden affliction, I looked at Al's grey wolf form and asked, How is Frankie doing?

I don't know. They were out like a light as soon as you were out of sight... Aloisa had to carry them back to the house. I wish I could have helped... Al trailed off at that point, lost in the replay of what transpired, I assumed.

Do you mind if I come with you to check on them? I asked gently. I figured Al would, more-than-likely, want to be left alone with Frankie. However, I wanted to be sure the both of them would be fine before I let them be.

To my surprise, Al replied with, I'd appreciate that.

Alright. I answered. After thinking about how hard it must have been for her to leave her mate's side like that, I continued. Listen, Al, I'm sorry I pulled you away from Frankie like that. I just—

Don't worry about it. Al quickly interjected. If someone had taken Frankie I would have asked the same of you. She paused for a moment and looked back at me. Her orange eyes looking earnestly into mine, Lia, I promise we'll get Dakota back safely.

My focused expression softened for a moment and I simply nodded in response. A question that had been brewing in the back of my mind pushed its way to the front as we walked in silence. Al, I began, unsure of how to pose the question in a non-accusative way. How are Frankie and Dakota linked?

Well Frankie is Dakota's Beta. It makes sense they would have that kind of bond. It's just like ours. Al replied nonchalantly.

That would make sense if Dakota had been initiated into the pack as the Luna but that hasn't happened yet. My ears fell as I realized what I had just said. What if she never gets initiated into the pack. Such destructive thoughts were frequently prodding my mind in the worst way.

Lia? Whatever you're thinking, stop. I promise we'll get her back. Al reassured me.

I hope you're right Al. I responded but my thoughts turned back to my original statement. Regardless, like I was saying: Dakota hasn't been initiated into the pack yet.