Hallowed 8

There was a sound of the door swinging back and forth, creaking in a repeated pattern and breaking the silence of the night.

As the cold wind entered from the opened door and the curtain danced along with it, the sound intensified, reaching Taehyung's consciousness.

He stirred from the bed, adjusting his vision from the darkness as he roamed his still half closed eyes in the room.

In his dazed state, Taehyung thought of seeing a shadow standing near the edge of his bed for a brief moment.

He blinked before slowly sitting up and wiped the sleep off his eyes as he looked back on the spot and saw nothing but his empty room.

It could just be an illusion, an imagination created by his still half asleep consciousness.

The sound coming from the opened door leading to the veranda continued to fill the room in tune with the howling of the morning breeze.

He glimpsed at the clock on his bedside table, noting that it was still half an hour before 5 in the morning.

Taehyung carefully went out of bed and headed toward the opened door. There's nothing but darkness outside as the rising sun only showed a hint of color in the sky.

He closed and locked the door and soon the room was enveloped in silence once again.

The light coming from the lampshade was enough to lead him back to bed. He rested his back on the headboard, eyes focusing on the now closed door.

Taehyung stared at it for a long while before deciding to go back to sleep.

As he closed his eyes, he let slip of the fact that he had locked the door earlier before he went to bed and that there's no other way for it to be opened if not from the inside of his own room.

--------

A couple of knocks from the door woke up Taehyung from his shallow sleep.

He immediately stood and headed for the door, opening and revealing his brother's face with an unusual expression.

"Taetae.." Jin uttered, grabbing him lightly by his hands.

"Detectives are here.." He added in a tone full of worry.

"Are they looking for me?" Taehyung asked.

Jin nodded his head and tried to smile, a reassuring one.

"Don't worry. Let's deal with this together." Jin whispered, caressing Taehyung's face.

"Fix yourself and then follow me in the living room, okay?" He added to which Taehyung simply nodded his head.

A good 10 minutes and Taehyung was already in the living room with his brother, facing the inspector and the detective he once encountered before.

"I would really want to say it's nice seeing you Taehyung despite the reason why we're here." Inspector Yoongi uttered.

"Is this about Hyun Jae's death?" Taehyung asked blankly.

"That.. and a lot of things." Inspector Yoongi answered.

He placed a recorder on top of the table before looking at the older Kim.

"With your consent, we would like to record everything we're going to talk about from this moment on." Inspector Yoongi said, staring at Jin's eyes.

The older nodded his head before looking at Taehyung who only nodded as well.

"Thank you." Inspector Yoongi said before turning on the recorder.