Chapter 59: Destruction is So Beautiful

Start from the beginning

Everything came to a halt as Aisu and I came to the entrance of the Armory to find two Warriors lying in wait for us. I set to work instantly, brandishing my sword and taking the more nimble of the two. I would’ve done anything, anything at all to protect Aisu, to protect Archer, to protect my Wolves. I shouted senselessly as we fought, the clangs of metal on metal infuriating me, reminding me of my all-too-recent Sacrifices. 

The Warrior fell to the floor lifelessly as I spun on my heel to help Aisu. My sword collided with the Warrior’s gloves with the sound of screaming metal. Aisu ducked and nipped the Warrior’s heels until we cornered him into a crevice. Aisu leaped forward, his jaws snapping shut on the throat of the very tired Warrior. I pulled my sword away and heard a sickening crunch. I thought, at first, it was the Warrior’s throat. I then heard a whimper and realized that maybe, maybe I was wrong. Aisu’s flank was open, and dripping crimson onto the black and white tiles. With a furious yell, I finished the Warrior. 

“We need to go.” I said urgently, helping Aisu up as he turned into a human again. “Give me directions. I’ll get us there.” Aisu moaned directions to me as I hurried us down the steps of the Armory. He winced as he moved and groaned as he struggled. It was too much for me to bear. 

I Shifted and forced Aisu onto my back, where he ground out directions to me from behind his gritted teeth. I moved as swiftly and as gently as I could, given our circumstances, and made it to the alleyway in under five minutes. My pack mates stared at us in horror. Hail and Frost pulled Aisu off my back so I could Shift back into my human form. I couldn’t look at Aisu, not after I’d failed to protect him. 

“Someone tell me what I’ve missed.” I said coolly, trying to apply the focus that had been drilled into me. Blizzard’s gold eyes instantly met mine and he began to speak. 

“We’ve found Nerr and Kallen on the opposite side of the City from Archer’s Familiar. Rebel Forces have begun to pour in, and the Marked teams are coming to meet them.” Blizzard rumbled, his eyes flashing with concern. “Your cuff makes you a liability.” Anger sparked in my chest, and I tore my gaze away to study Hail’s bent over form that focussed on healing Aisu. 

“It will come off. Don’t worry about it. I can handle myself.” I replied in a frosty voice. Blizzard met my new, cooler gaze with a rather heated one that brought waves of concern flooding over me. It’s my job to worry about you. Blizzard murmured. 

It’s my job to make sure that our mistakes in this era are not repeated in the next one. I replied. Blizzard shook his head slightly. 

You’re risking everything. Your life, your future... your friends and family. Blizzard said. I suppressed a smile. 

I believe it has been said that we must be the change we see in the world. I countered. Violence isn’t what I want, but it’s what I’ve been taught. This is the only way we can change what’s happening, here and now. I don’t have time to wait for peace. I have to help create it. 

Blizzard’s lips pressed themselves into a thin line. And if you die? 

Then I have died for a cause I believe in. I winked at Blizzard. I’d hoped that you’d have more faith in me. Blizzard’s eyes widened slightly before he smiled. 

I’m just covering all the possibilities. This time I smiled. 

I’m far too stubborn to die. I replied, turning my gaze to watch Aisu twitch in pain. I’d rather die to protect the ones I love than to live knowing I could’ve made things better for them. 

Blizzard didn’t say anything. I watched carefully as Aisu stood, supported by Hail and Frost. “There’s not time to heal it completely, we have to go.” Hail said urgently. My throat closed.