Chapter 53: A World for Demons, A Shoulder for Angels

The world was spinning around in dizzying circles. A demon was whispering in my ears. “Drink, drink the water.” Its malicious voice froze my blood and stopped my heart. I wanted to scream, but I was frozen in terror. No, I don’t want to drink the water! I wanted to stop the madness that whirled about my mind, but I knew it would be fruitless. Madness is contagious.

A smile painted itself upon my lips; a crazed gleam entered my eyes. It would be so easy to just... snap. Archer’s face swam before my eyes. I could imagine his dark, dark eyes gleaming with curiosity, one of his many wondrous traits. His smile would be kind, gentle. Archer would say: “Please don’t drink the demon’s water; it’s bad for you.” Archer would be correct.

But he wasn’t here, and neither was my beloved Aisu, nor my Pack, or even Blaze. My friends were long gone. “Drink, drink the water.” I smiled again. I would please the demon. I snatched the water from it and drank from the heavy metal canister, nearly retching at the taste of metal that flooded my mouth, and the bitter taste of the demon medicine they used on me. It would be okay. I would be a demon, too.

“Good girl,” It crooned softly, stroking my dirty hair. “Such a good, good girl.” The demon’s razor sharp teeth shone like pearls from the east. The demon rumbled happily in its chest and took the demon medicine away. The door creaked open and the demon stroked my shackles lovingly before it departed. I glared after it, my mad smile still beaming at the door.

“Snow? What are you doing?” The demon Blaze stood before me. My eyes widened and I scurried away from him, my heart pounding. His hair looked like flames.

“Demon...” I whimpered, pointing straight at him. “Stay away from me!” I shouted. Perhaps I had more strength than I had thought previously. Blaze reached his clawed hands out to me. “No!”

Blaze hesitated before he drew back his hands, his eyes like glowing waste, a toxic green, staring deep into my cloudy vision. He withdrew from my cell. My cell kept the demons out. My cell kept my demons in. I flopped onto my back and curled into a ball, rolling onto my side. I would sleep. I would see the wolf demons.

A tall black Wolf snapped at my heels, sending me scurrying. I bared my teeth and fled from it, running up the trees and clutching to their branches. No more demon medicine, please. Another one, a red-brown, and two others, both white, sidled up to the black Wolf. They were talking, I could tell. Why couldn’t I understand?

A stocky brown Wolf leaped for the branches and caught my arm. I let out a tortured wail as I fell to the ground, my back letting out a painful snapping noise. Why did the demons keep hurting me?

A demon transformed, the black one, and became human. It was nothing new. He stood close to me, pulled me up, and squeezed me to his chest. Was I his? The demon’s voice echoed in my ears, but I couldn’t hear anything. “Listen, Snow! Listen!” The voice was pounding away at my skull. My eyes widened and I struggled.

“No more demon medicine!” I screamed, pounding away at the demon’s chest. “No more! I don’t want it!” The demon held me still and I felt two hands on my back. I screamed again and tried to break free of his hold. No more! I didn’t want anyone to touch me!

A strange wave of warmth flooded over me. No, not heat, it felt like a feeling, an emotion. The warmth came in waves. I wanted this feeling forever. It should be mine. Wasn’t I entitled to it? The waves stopped coming and a new sound came to my ears: sobbing. Who was crying? Guilt ate away at me. Was I the cause of such horrid sobbing? Of such a terrible feeling?

Noises flooded my ears, too much at once! A warm wetness sent steaks of moisture scurrying down my cheeks. Leaves cackling and someone rubbing my back and the hurried pants of someone who’d run a long distance. I shook my head and clamped my hands over my ears. No more, no more! I didn’t want to hear! Forever silent!