Chapter 50: You Gave Me a Number, But I'm a Human Being

The ropes that wrapped around me were ridiculously tight. I'd lost feeling in my hands and feet a few hours ago, and the area below my knees was starting to feel a bit numb. I should also mention that I'm tied to a very large panther. I should also mention that panthers tend to not like me. Apparently I smell very strongly of Wolf. Not that I mind. The dislike is mutual.

I refuse to acknowledge the panther as a Familiar, mostly because it seemed to summon and unsummon itself whenever it wanted, regardless of what Blaze wanted. Blaze would then rant to me about how annoying it was to have to deal with panthers, and I'd reply with a snarky smile and overly-large canines and state that that's why I preferred Wolves. Blaze usually laughed at that. I don't know why, but even though he'd captured me, I wanted him to smile. It made him seem happier. Doesn't everyone deserve to be happy?

I stared at the sky that was diluted with light from the streets. The panther had unsummoned itself just before we entered the city, and seeing as Blaze refused to untie my legs -honestly, it's pretty hard to run like this-, Blaze was now carrying me. At least he'd be welcomed with open arms, seeing as I'd helped with his getaway when I said he was under my control. Me? Naw, I'd probably be Sacrificed by midday tomorrow.

"So you really can't see color in one eye?" Blaze said, his emerald eyes glimmering with concern. I sighed.

"Why would I lie about something like that?" I replied, rolling my eyes. "Yeah, it's true." The night's stars were lost among the street lamps and high-rises. I sighed once again. It seemed that the stars were my only friends. Never had they let me down. I'd wish on them, and they'd twinkle back at me, as if acknowledging my trivial existence. After all, I was merely a blink of an eye in the grand scheme of things. I silently pondered what would happen with me.

I had valuable information stored in my mind. I had no doubt that the Government would want the intel I had on the Rebels. I sighed for possibly the hundredth time and made up my mind. I wouldn't tell them, even if it was the death of me. The Government couldn't kill me; that would make me a martyr, and a martyr is a very powerful weapon. They couldn't exactly let me live though, could they? If I got free, then I was a threat on the highest level. I'd been captured once, and I was furious about that. I wouldn't stand for a second time.

Would the Government Sacrifice me again? If they thought torture or humiliation would break me down, they had another thing coming. I was trained by the best to not say a word, not make a peep when in pain. They should know- after all, it was their work. I thought a while longer. I was sure that they'd break me down using kindness. After all, one could easily use those closest to a person to extract information. I sighed as I was forced to make up my mind. I couldn't trust anyone. I had to be suspicious of even the smallest act of kindness, be it a smile or even meeting my gaze.

Every man, woman, and child was my enemy. Nothing was safe anymore. It never would be.

With a soft exhalation Blaze put me on my feet and knocked at the looming, foreboding Government office. I stared at it emotionlessly as the door opened and a small woman around twenty peeked out. "Number Thirteen? What are you doing here?" She whispered, looking at Blaze with mild disgust. Blaze glared at the woman.

"I have the Sacrifice. I need to go inside, so move it." Blaze answered. His formerly kind tone with me had changed to one whose temperature rivaled the frostiness of my namesake. I found it mildly amusing that Blaze changed his personality so quickly. After all, who would've guessed that someone named after fire could speak in the tone of snow?

The woman let out a shocked squeak before she opened the door wider and permitted Blaze to enter as he carried me once again. Blaze's eyes softened as he passed the woman he looked at me for a moment, a frown decorating his face, before he cleared his face of all emotion. "Blaze, are you ever tired of being just a number?" I whispered. "I am. I don't want to be known as Sacrifice Thirteen of Provence Thirteen anymore. I want to be known for who I am. My name is Snow. I'm a human being. That's how I want people to remember me."