Chapter 40: Is It Just Me, Or Did This Kind of Backfire?

Hey guys! If ya don't mind, would you please read the Author's Note at the end of this chapter? Thanks!

*Snow's POV*

I wasn't sure I wanted to know how, but Kallen knew exactly where we were going. We'd been walking to the Capitol in search of the federal prison, where, Kallen told me, Aaron was being held. I had been forced to stop and calm down several times as we neared the very place where the Council of Leaders ruled over us. As fear raced through my veins, I strode forward. My breaths came out in shaky sighs and my hands trembled slightly. Needless to say, I was terrified.

As we stopped for the night, I curled up into a ball, wrapping my arms around my knees, hoping for a sense of comfort, but finding none. My eyes darted back and forth every once in a while, searching, almost hoping for trouble. I needed something to take my mind of off what I would be doing. I would be directly confronting those who were the cause of my suffering, of my pain, of my anguish and desperation.

I eventually found the sorry strength to start a fire and help the others set up camp. The flickering tongues of warmth eagerly licked the dry wood that Nerr had collected. I closed my eyes as we all gathered around the source of warmth. I shivered as an icy chill ran down my back, the breeze trailing a frozen finger down my spine. "What's the plan?" Kallen asked me, her golden eyes glowing with the reflection of the fire before us.

I pried my eyes open, slit by slit, until I looked at Kallen with my eyes fully open. I sighed quietly before I gazed at the fire. "Here's what the plan is: We go into the prison and find Aaron. I'll distract the guards and you guys get Aaron out and run like there's no tomorrow. I'll meet up with you after six hours by the Sixth Lake at the Harbor Pier. I'll be right by the end." I said. "If I don't show up within an hour, then something is wrong, and I want you guys to go to safety."

Nerr's mouth instantly opened. "Wait... I don't get it. Why would you want us to leave without you?" I closed my eyes again.

"Because if I don't show, it means I've gotten captured, and I don't want to endager you three." I said, a weight landing heavily on my shoulders. Fear trilled through my blood. I was scared. So, so scared. After an hour or so, Kallen, Christina, and Nerr retired to their tents and went to sleep. Archer, who'd been strangely silent all evening, went to sleep after another fifteen minutes. Nathan had gone to scout out the area around us. Only Aisu and I remained awake and present.

I leaned against Aisu, my eyes watering with fear. "Aisu..." I murmured, wrapping my arms around my knees more tightly.

"What is it?" He replied, his breath tickling my ear. I curled up tighter before I turned and wrapped my arms around Aisu tightly, my hands holding onto his shirt tightly.

"Aisu, I'm scared." I said, looking deeply into his eyes. "I'm really, really scared." I held tighter onto him. "Aisu I don't think I've ever been this scared before."

*Aisu's POV*

Fear seemed to creep off of Snow like a thick fog, it's fingers clawing desperately for another victim. Snow's eyes were wide, their fog colored depths clouded with terror. Her hands had balled into fists, and my shirt was crumpled in their grip. I didn't know what to do. I'd seen Snow injured, angry, happy, sad, but never, never scared. I'd never had to deal with someone this scared. What was I supposed to do?

Snow hugged me tighter, her cheek pressed against my chest. A certain dampness seeped into my clothing. Oh God, was she crying? I couldn't stand for that. Humming soothing noises, I pulled Snow onto my lap and wrapped my arms around her. I rubbed up and down her back, trying my best to calm her down.

"Sh..." I murmured, her grip on me getting tighter. "It's okay, Snow. I'm right here." Snow's shoulders quivered as she began to relax. "It's okay." I continued my attempts to soothe her as I held her, hoping that my efforts would not be in vain. "Tell me," I said softly. "Why are you so scared, Snow?"