Chapter 44: The Strangest Dare

*Aisu POV*

It took me all night to come up with a valid explanation for what Snow had said. "I think... I think I like you more than a friend..."

More than a friend what? I could clearly tell now that my feelings for Snow were more than platonic... but did she feel the same? I shook my head and blinked furiously as my eyes watered. Dang dust. Snow's common sense and thinking were obviously inhibited by whatever was making her act this way. Was it an illness? A drug?

Whatever it was, it had forced Snow to speak the unfinished sentence that had sent my mind reeling and my heart racing. If Snow had been thinking clearly, if she wasn't ill, she never would've said that fragment of speech, and I would be free of these heavy thoughts.

I sighed. I knew it must be whatever bug was in her system, but the thought of Snow not liking me back- not loving me back- would surely break my heart to pieces. I shook my head again, and tried to convince myself that I didn't need her to like me back.

Inspiration struck me like a wall of bricks. "I think... I think I like you more than a friend..."

Snow never even finished whatever it was that she was going to say, so how could I assume that it meant she liked me? Of course I'd jump to such a conclusion, after all, I only heard what I'd wanted to hear. 

And yet, that thought didn't make me feel any better. In fact, it made me feel a bit worse. I shook my head, again. "Aisu why are you awake?" Snow said, her eyes opening. "It's very early. Go to sleep." I started at the sound of her voice.

Snow sat up and stretched her limbs with cat-like grace. "I was just thinking, that's all." I replied. Snow's eyes glittered like pools of water.

"What about?" She asked, swinging her legs over the side of her bed and sitting on the floor next to me.

"Just about... uh, Archer." I said quickly. Snow's eyes narrowed and I could see the glimmer that whispered "You're lying."

"You think too much. Relax, Aisu. You can tell me anything." I turned my gaze to the floor, suddenly fascinated with the carpeting.

"I know." I said with a sigh. Snow sighed after a few moments.

"So what were you really thinking about?" She asked, a bit of her alpha voice mixing in with her persuasive one. "It wasn't really about Archer, was it?" I gazed out the window.

"Let's go for a walk." I said.

*Snow's POV*

The lake outside glittered with the moonlight. I resisted the strong urge to run into the water and splash around in it. It was simply very, very inviting. Instead I did what was probably the right thing to do. I walked next to Aisu and frowned as I watched him frown.

"Aisu... what's got you so high strung? Let's just talk about it, okay?" I said, attempting to be soothing. Aisu looked at me with vacant eyes, and I took a step back. Aisu was always one to be vibrant, a beaming spot of life. His eyes... I never would've imagined them vacant.

The empty look in Aisu's eyes became one of desperation and urgency. "I'm going to ask you a question, and I need you to answer me with complete honestly, alright?" I nodded my head vigorously. Aisu closed his eyes and sighed before his azure orbs looked me right in the eye, shining with determination and some steely nerve.

I gazed at Aisu with concern. I'd answer him honestly, and I hoped that it would calm his frayed nerves. "Do you like me?" He asked. I blinked before smiling a bit.

"Yeah, I like you. Who wouldn't?" I replied, frowning. Aisu shook his head.

"No I mean like like." I frowned.