Chapter 57: Metal Beats Flesh

• Dedicated to Shinobi :P

I wasn’t happy when our group arrived at the very fringes of the Capital, where the vast open spaces began to tumble into the high buildings and busy streets. All around us were the echos of footsteps, nearly tangible in the freezing air. The temperature was dropping slowly, to the normal forty degrees of Capital nighttime air. 

Shinobi stood tensely beside Nerr. I could see the anticipation in his stiff gait, the small amounts of anxiety here and there that came with an awkward pause or a snapped reply. I nearly grinned. Imagine, Shinobi, nervous? Who would’ve guessed? 

Aisu stood beside me, in his human form, his chilly eyes bright and alive, as vibrant as mine. We exchanged grins. Blizzard stood to my other side, his gold eyes glowing in the darkness, and Hail, Frost, and Sleet remained surrounding me, their noses sniffing the air for everything. God, I loved my Wolves, more than anything in the world, more than life itself. 

I tasted the air subtly, taking in the strange scents of gasoline and grass. It was a strange mixture, but not unpleasant. It certainly masked the scent of blood, sweat, and tears, of poverty and despair that clung to the Sacrifice Centers and the slums. I allowed the cool air to slither across my skin like an affectionate snake. My mouth twisted into an excited smile. 

Across the fields before us, I could make out the tall electric fences of the Capital. Here, in the Capital-Provence no-man’s-land, a small shanty town had grown. It recognized no government, save the Capital’s, and I could already see the signs of chaos taking over. We walked past it. I glanced at Aisu again, and sought comfort and reassurance in his warm eyes. I found it instantly. 

He reached for my hand and I intertwined our fingers with a smile, tugging him slightly closer to my side. I love you. Aisu whispered solely to me. I shot him a smile. 

I love you, too. I replied in the same manner. Blizzard’s gold eyes found mine and he glanced at our intertwined fingers. His lips twitched upward, a mixture of happiness and uncertainty. His eyes found mine and he seemed to be pleading with me. What is it, Blizzard? I asked softly, my grip on Aisu tightening ever so slightly. 

You need to be careful, Snow. I nodded instantly; I had already known that. I can protect you from physical harm, you know that, but there are things that even I cannot keep at bay. 

What are you trying to say, Blizzard? Blizzard shook his head, his gold eyes sad, mimicking liquid gold. 

I can only protect you from bodily harm. I cannot protect Aisu, or Hail, or Sleet, or anyone else like that. We are two halves of a whole, Snow, forever intertwined. I cannot protect Aisu from any sort of harm like I can with you. Blizzard’s expression broke my heart. 

It’s okay, Blizzard. I understand. My thoughts turned to Aisu. How could I protect him? How could I keep him safe, by me forever? How could I keep Aisu from harm, and keep both of us safe and sound? Aisu must’ve guessed my thinking. We stopped outside a small shack where we would plan our next moves. 

As we slipped inside, Aisu and I retreated to the farthest recesses of the room we were assigned. I dropped my bag by the bed, and grabbed Shinobi, dragging him outside hurriedly. “If we’re going to do anything, anything at all,” I said with a hurried rush of words, “we need to do it, now. The guards, Warriors, will not be alert at night, that much I know. Word will get out that we are staying here in the shanty town, and then they’ll be alerted to us. You have to go, tonight.” 

Shinobi stared at me with wide green eyes. “Snow, that seems like a terrible idea! You don’t know-”

“Shinobi, I do know! I used to sneak away from all the Sacrifice Centers! I did it annually! Warriors are always lazy and sedated at night; they think nothing will come! Aisu and I will sneak you in!” I said urgently. Kallen and Nerr stepped into the outdoors. Blizzard, keep everyone safe here, and make sure Archer doesn’t leave.