Results At Last?

Eric and I had been trying desperately to conceive a child for almost three months now, and with each negative test result he just got more and more frantic. But, being the dear he was, he just did his best to console me, reassuring me it was okay and it wasn't my fault and we just needed to try a few more times. Each negative test made my heart sink lower and lower, and it hurt to see the hope disappear from Eric's eyes every time I told him it was a no once again.

I woke up to a soft kiss on the cheek and rolled over to give Eric a smile. He seemed to struggle to return it, like he had been for awhile now. 

"Good morning," he murmured.

"Good morning," I replied, closing my eyes and resting my head on his chest. 

He played with my hair absentmindedly before letting out a soft sigh. I could feel his breath on my face and hugged him tighter, knowing what he was about to ask.

"It's been about a month since your last period, right?" he asked, and I nodded, clinging to him.

"Are you...going to take a test today?" he asked slowly, rubbing my back soothingly. 

"I...I think so," I murmured, and I could feel him tense beneath me. 

"Okay. When do you think you'll take one?" he asked, voice barely above a whisper, and I knew the anticipation hurt him as much as it hurt me. 

"I could take one now, if you'd like," I said. 

He inhaled sharply, resting his forehead against mine. "Maybe...maybe in a bit. I just want to hold you for a moment," he murmured.

I nodded, nestling deeper into his arms, wishing it would last forever. His hand rested gently on my stomach, just above my womb, and I knew he was desperately wishing for there to be a child in there. At last, the suspense got the best of me and I sat up.

"I'm sorry, I can't stand not knowing," I said, giving him a kiss before grabbing the box of pregnancy tests and walking into the bathroom.

I sat on the floor, waiting for the test to develop. The five minutes felt as eternal as always before a line appeared. I held my breath, waiting, practically willing two lines into existence, before immediately bursting into happy tears as a second one appeared. 

Eric burst into the bathroom, sitting on the floor and wrapping me in his arms. 

"Shh it's okay, don't cry. It's okay, don't be upset, it's not your fault! We can try again next month, it'll be okay," he said soothingly.

I shook my head, sitting back and giving him a wide smile.

"You don't understand, it's positive!" I said, unable to stop the grateful tears rolling down my cheeks.

He blinked, staring at me. "It's...it's what?" he choked.

"It's positive," I repeated, showing him the pregnancy test.

He took my hand, helping me to my feet, still staring at me with wide eyes. 

"Positive? So then...then Y/N, you're...pregnant?" he asked in a hushed voice.

I nodded, wiping away tears. "I'm pregnant. We're going to have a baby."

He let out a stunned laugh, wrapping me up in his arms and giving me a squeeze. "Oh, Y/N! I'm gonna have a baby!" he cried, kissing me. "I told you it would work, I told you not to worry!" 

I hugged him back, so excited I was trembling. "We're going to have a baby," I repeated. 

He showered me with kisses before gently resting his hand on my stomach again. "I'm going to have a baby," he murmured, before looking at the clock in surprise.

"Oh damn! I'm so sorry Y/N I hate to leave you alone always and especially now after such news but if I don't leave now I'll be late for practice!" he cried, before giving me a kiss. "We'll celebrate tonight, I promise," he murmured.

"I'll see you then," I said, giving his hand a squeeze and kissing him one last time before he turned and ran out of the room. 

I watched as the door swung shut behind him with a click and frowned, moving to the door. I watched through the peephole as he practically jogged down the hall, almost late like always. He was consistently late and always a bit scatterbrained, yet I could never catch him slipping up over why I had to be kept secret and why he would have to break my heart someday. 

So if I couldn't get him to tell me, I'd just have to figure things out myself!