Ending Before it Begins?

I moved quickly down the hall, entering my room and sinking onto the bed, chest heaving. So there was someone else, someone else he loved judging by the way he ended his phone call.

Reeling, I sat on the edge of my bed for a moment more before bursting into tears. There was someone else he was seeing, someone else he loved. Which meant I was nothing more than his side chick. 

Or was the other girl his side chick? Was she pregnant too? Did she have the same rules? Was he just playing both of us? And if he was, then why? What was he even trying to do? 

But eventually, my tears slowed, fading to sniffling, and I pulled myself together. Tomorrow night I would follow him and find him and confront him if I needed to. But for now, I was exhausted and wanted to sleep. 

I was restless all of the next day, waiting anxiously for 8 o'clock to roll around. I had a lead, finally. Eric was going to be meeting up with another woman at 8, and I would be able to hopefully figure out why. Just two hours to go before it all became clear.

The door to my room opened and I looked up at Eric in surprise. He walked over to me, sitting next to me and setting down the paper bag he was holding before kissing me.

"Hello love. How're you doing?" he murmured, putting a hand on my stomach.

I smiled, putting my hands on top of his. "I'm fine. Both me and the baby are."

He smiled, eyes sparkling. "Good! I'm glad to hear that, if there's anything I can do to help just let me know," he said, kissing me.

I leaned against him, heart happy. "What are you doing here though? You don't usually come see me this many times a week. Otherwise it's suspicious," I said.

He shrugged, rubbing my practically nonexistent baby bump. "I know. But things are different now. You're pregnant, I want to be here and support you! I want to stay with you tonight."

My heart dropped and I stared at him in shock. Tonight? But he couldn't be with me tonight, he was going out with his mysterious companion for dinner, he was giving me my one chance to find out what was going on.

"But...you had told me you'd be busy tonight," I said.

"I cancelled the plans. I want to be with you tonight."

"No no you shouldn't be with me, you should follow through on your plans!" I said.

"Do you...do you not want me to be here with you?" he asked in confusion.

"No it's not that! I just don't want you to sacrifice your plans for my sake," I said, doing everything I possibly could to get him to go out to dinner.

"Y/N, you're pregnant. I want to spend time with you and support you and comfort you! Pregnancy isn't easy and I already can't spend as much time with you as I should," he said sadly.

"I know but--" 

"It's alright, I promise! I want to spend time with you. Oh, and I was thinking we should probably schedule a prenatal checkup for next week. I want to make sure my baby is healthy," he said.

I gave him an almost angry look. "Why do you always do that?!" I snapped, pregnancy hormones getting the best of me. 

He jumped, sitting back and pulling his hand off my stomach, giving me a confused look.

"Do...do what?" he asked.

"You always say it's your baby. It's our baby, not just yours!" I cried, getting unreasonably angry. 

"Y/N I'm sorry! I'm just excited I'm having a kid. I-I know it's both of ours," he said, but he wouldn't meet my eye, just making me angrier. 

"Eric I don't understand! Why the hell can't you tell me?! Why am I a secret?! Why do you have to break my heart?!" I shouted, jumping to my feet.  

He took my hands, sitting me back down.

"Y/N, calm down. You're just really emotional, you--" 

I pulled my hands free of his, standing up again. "No! I'm not being emotional! Just...just please leave me alone tonight. I don't want you to cancel your plans. And I want to be alone tonight," I said. 

"I'm sorry," he murmured, almost sadly. "I'll see you tomorrow."

I kept my back toward him as he kissed me on the cheek, walking out of the room. The door shut behind him and I let out a frustrated snarl. I looked at the paper bag he had left on the table, scowling, before curiosity got the best of me and I looked inside, feeling my heart sink.

There was a comfy pair of slippers, ginger tea to help with morning sickness, dark chocolates and other common cravings, and plenty of other things to help me be comfortable during pregnancy. 

"Ohh Eric," I murmured, taking a bite of one of the chocolate bars, feeling horribly guilty.

He was such a sweetheart, and yet he swore he'd break my heart one day. Which meant no matter how much I loved him, I had to follow him tonight.