Happy Birthday

Eric woke me up with a kiss on the cheek, absolutely beaming. 

"Hey babe wake up! Wake up, it's Tiara's birthday!" he said eagerly. 

"It's my birfday Mama!" Tiara said, crawling into bed and wrapping her arms around me.

Smiling, I sat up, giving her a hug and a kiss on the forehead. 

"Happy birthday sweet pea! I can't believe you're five years old already!" I said.

She nodded, sliding out of bed and jumping into Eric's arms. He scooped her up in his arms, tossing her up in the air before catching her, making her squeal with laughter. 

"Look at you, my little baby girl's growing up so fast!" Eric said, giving her a fond smile. "So what do you want for breakfast on your special day?" 

"Waffles!" she said, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"Then let's get you waffles!" Eric said, before holding out a hand.

I took his hand, letting him pull me to my feet. He led us to the kitchen, letting Tiara scramble up on his shoulders as he started to make waffles while I got some eggs and bacon cooking. 

"So what do you want to do for your birthday?" I asked Tiara, plating up the food.

"I wanna go to the zoo! An' I wanna see Unca Paul an' Unca Gene!" she said eagerly, letting me pull her off Eric's shoulders.

I kissed her on the forehead and sat her in her seat.

"Well I'm sure your father and I could work that out," I said, giving Eric a kiss. 

Eric smiled, nodding, but his eyes were sad and I knew why. I knew he desperately wanted Bruce to be a part of her life and be like an uncle to her, but he had been keeping his distance from Eric for years. Tiara knew about him, she had met him a few times, but she was nowhere near as close to him as she was to Paul and Gene. After all, she only ever called him Mr. Bruce. 

"Of course we can do that, sweet pea," Eric said, kissing her on the forehead. "In fact, I'm sure your uncles were already planning on stopping by today! Now let's eat," he said. 

After breakfast, Eric and I washed the dishes while Tiara ran to play.

"Here babe I've got it, you go play with Tiara," Eric said, taking the sponge from my hand.

I smiled, heart melting. 

"You're a sweetheart, you know that?" I said.

"Well I love our daughter," he mumbled. 

I smiled, kissing him on the cheek. 

"I know you do, and that's why I love you," I said. 

He smiled back, giving me a quick kiss on the nose. "I love you too!" 

I left him in the kitchen, joining Tiara in the living room and doing a puzzle with her on the floor. Eric was still washing the dishes when the doorbell rang and I rose to my feet. 

"That's probably your uncles! I'll go get the door," I said, kissing Tiara on the forehead. 

I walked into the front hall, pulling open the door and feeling my eyes widen. Bruce was standing on the doorstep, giving me an almost nervous smile. 

"Um...hi, Y/N. I hope it's alright I brought Tiara a birthday gift," he said sheepishly. 

"Of course, that's very sweet of you! Would you like to come in? I know Eric would love to see you," I said.

His cheeks grew pink and he shrugged.

"I mean...if you're okay with it, I don't want to do anything that makes you uncomfortable," he said. "Although I promise I've got no intention of running away with Eric, I'm not going to get in a relationship with him," he added.

I nodded, giving him a small smile.

"I know. He's already reassured me that."

"He loves you," Bruce said abruptly. "I-I know he did some dumb stuff but I promise he loves you. I mean before I knew about you, there would be some nights where he'd come back to my room or I'd go to his and he'd just be so happy. He would basically be glowing, he couldn't stop smiling and he was just so cheerful and energetic, practically bouncing up and down on his toes. I never quite understood why until I found out about you and I connected the dots. He loves you, loves spending time with you," he said.

My heart melted in spite of everything and I gave him a warm smile. "I know. He would do the same with you. Now please, seriously, come in and see him. I know he's really missed you, I'm sure you've missed him too," I said. 

Bruce nodded, shifting the present he was holding. "Yeah," he murmured.

There was the sound of small feet in the hall as Tiara ran into the hall. 

"Mama what's taking so long?!" she cried, before giving Bruce a smile. "Oh hi Mr. Bruce!" 

"Hi Tiara, happy birthday!" he said, returning her smile. "I got you a present!" 

She let out a delighted squeal, wrapping her arms around his legs. 

"Thanks Mr. Bruce!" 

There was the sound of footsteps as Eric walked into the hall, looking at Bruce with wide eyes, mouth slightly ajar. 

"Hey Eric," Bruce murmured. 

"Bruce..." he said softly, walking toward him as if in a trance. 

I took the present from Bruce, taking Tiara's hand and leading her back to the living room as Eric threw his arms around Bruce, clinging tightly to him and very softly starting to cry.