Moving On

Bruce had been right, Eric did turn out to be a wonderful partner when it came to raising our daughter Tiara Jane. He was absolutely devoted to me and to her and did everything he possibly could to make us happy and comfortable, going as far as to buy a larger house so the three of us could live more comfortably.

He also finally came clean to Gene and Paul, explaining everything and begging for just a pause in touring and practice, which they granted.

As for Bruce, neither Eric nor I had seen him since the day at the hospital, save for once when he stopped by our new house to drop off a few housewarming gifts and things for the new baby. I knew Eric missed him, he tried to call him every day, but every day Bruce wouldn't answer, telling him it wasn't right and that he had a family to focus on now.

So eventually Eric stopped calling. He turned and focused on me, swearing he'd never make mistakes like that again and that he'd love and support me forever because he did love me. And whether it was smart of me or not, I agreed and stayed with him, because I did love him back dearly.

I gave Tiara a kiss on the top of her head, flipping the page of the picture book I was reading. Eric walked into the room, giving us a smile, and walked over, scooping up Tiara and tossing her in the air.

"How's my little princess doing, hm?" he asked, catching her and kissing her as she squealed with delight.

"Tired, hopefully, since it's almost eight," I said with a smile.

As if in protest, Tiara clutched at Eric's shirt tightly, burbling happily.

"Aw come on now cutie your momma's right. It's getting late for you," he said, tickling her and making her giggle.

"Well maybe her daddy should stop riling her up and making her laugh," I teased, rising to my feet and walking over, taking Tiara from his arms and giving him a kiss.

"Maybe he should. Good thing her mother is so smart and knows what she's doing," he said with a fond smile. "Do you need me to do anything?"

"No, no, she's already ready for bed. I just need to read her a story and lay her in her crib," I said.

Eric's face lit up.

"Oh! Let me know when you're done, I'll sing her a lullaby," he said happily.

My heart melted and I gave him a kiss on the cheek. 

"I will," I murmured, before giving him a frown.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"I want to talk to you after she's in bed," I said softly, putting a hand on his cheek before pinching his cheek affectionately and walking off to put Tiara down for the night.

I read her a few stories before laying her in her crib. Eric took over, happily singing her a lullaby as I stood out in the hallway, head resting against the door as I listening to his song. Eventually she had fallen fast asleep and he joined me in the hall.

"What's wrong?" he asked again, kissing me. 

I took his hand, leading him down the hall until we reached the living room. He sat on the couch and without him needing to ask I sat on his lap.

"C'mon babe you know I don't like seeing you upset. What's wrong, how can I fix it?" he asked, arms encircling my waist. 

"When are you going to get back together with Bruce?" I asked.

He blinked, giving me a confused look.

"What?"

"When will it be? Once you start touring again? Is practice going to run late some nights while you two hook up?" I snapped, turning all my fears into aggression. "You told me this wouldn't last forever, so when's it gonna end, huh?" 

He very slowly reached out, putting a soft hand on my cheek. 

"Y/N, I won't do that to you. I promised you I'd stay and help you raise Tiara, and I mean that. She's my daughter too, I-I love her and I love you. And I know I've hurt you in the past and I'm so sorry I did, but I swear to you I won't do it again." 

"You still love him, don't you?" I asked.

"I always will. But never enough to leave you for him, not yet, not while we still have a daughter to raise. Maybe...maybe in the future, when she's older, when she's moved out. But if I do, if, I'll talk to you first. There won't be any more surprises, I promise." 

"How can I trust you?" I asked.

He sighed, brushing my hair away.

"I don't know. I know I've broken your trust, but I promise it will never happen again. It's up to you if you believe that, but I'll do everything I can to prove it to you. If it makes you feel better, I really haven't seen or spoken to Bruce since he stopped by six months ago." 

"But you've called him so many times," I murmured.

A pained look spread through his eyes.

"He's never answered."

There was a pause before he wrapped his arms around me.

"If it makes you feel better, you're welcome to come to practice with me, to keep an eye on me."

"You don't need to tease," I grumbled, leaning against him. 

"I promise I won't hurt you, I promise I'm being honest when I say I'll stay with you and raise our daughter. But I won't lie to you. I do still love him, but not enough to ever hurt you again."

Fears reassured, I kissed him. 

"I know," I murmured.