Chapter 11: The Voice on the Radio

Thursday, November 29, 1984
12:45p.m.
Norwood's National Laboratories

Third Person's POV
Once again, the scientists were grouped together, communicating. For the past few days, Dr. Rallane has been frustrated and feeling as if he was under pressure. He won't discuss as to why he was feeling pressured.

"If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose Rei Venne? Isn't she the blind one? I thought Alio Niccals would've been a good choice," said one of the scientists, Dr. Hyer.

Dr. Rallane replies, "You would think he'd be a good kid to choose, but he would be too skeptical to believe any of this and wouldn't even attempt to risk it. I chose Rei Venne because the main person she cares about is that missing boy, Klaus Blythe, so I knew how to get to her. And she's loyal to those who keep their promises."

    "And are you keeping your promise, or were you being dishonest?"

"I am. I meant it when I told Rei that if she does her part, then I will do mine."

Dr. Ives nodded, understanding, then asks, "Why didn't you choose Anne Stine? Or Norman Snicket?"

"Norman Snicket wouldn't say anything to us about Zero or One, even if his parents asked about them. And Anne Stine is the one keeping Zero, she wouldn't give us any information," Dr. Rallane explained, sitting back in the seat he was sitting in. "I chose Rei Venne is because her thoughts are difficult to read, so One won't have an easy time trying to get into her head, whereas he would instantly find out if I even made contact with any of the others."

     "Ah."

Friday, November 30, 1984
11:00a.m.
The Stine Household

Again, the children were in Anne's room. Both of her parents were home, downstairs with her baby brother.

Zero was sitting on the floor, observing Norman's walkie talkie. Jesper was sitting next to her on her right, sitting crisscross, looking at her drawings. Rei was sitting on the beanbag chair, just curled up. Alio was sitting on the floor, too, sitting next to Jesper on his right.

Norman was sitting crisscross on Anne's bed, with Anne sitting to his left. Norman was reading a DC comic (Batman), Anne was eating a bag of pretzels, Zero was eating Pez candies as she observed the walkie talkie and tried to figure out how it worked, Alio had started to space out (five minutes ago), and Rei was quietly humming the Ghostbusters song.

Jesper didn't have the bandage on, but the tattoo on his neck wasn't visible anymore.

The walkie talkie kept making static and crackling sounds. Feedback whines could be heard, as well.

Rei remembered something Zero had said: "I saw him", "Hiding". She suddenly seemed curious as to what she meant by that. "Hey, Zero?"

Zero didn't look at her, but was listening.

Alio's mind had gone back to reality, Norman looked up from his comic.

"Remember when you said you saw where Klaus was?"

Zero quietly responded, "Yes."