It flew over Harry before it suddenly burst into flames and landed on the Patil twins' desk. 

Amira's mouth turned into an o shape.

The whole class turned around to see Professor Umbridge who was dressed in a bright pink cardigan and dress.

"Good morning, children," she greeted the bored-looking students that stayed silent.

"Ahem, good morning students! What do you say after that?" she prompted as the whole class stared at each other before chorusing "Good morning, Professor Umbridge,"

"Well isn't that better," the woman stared at everyone, a sickly smile appearing on her lips.

"This bitch," Riley muttered which caused Noah to shush her as she was walking down the aisle.

"O-W-Ls," Umbridge used her wand to write on the chalkboard.

"More commonly known as OWLs," she smiled at the group of children who looked uninterested and bored. 

Riley popped a piece of gum in her mouth rolling her eyes. She started chewing obnoxiously which made the whole class turn towards her and Professor Umbridge glare at her.

Ron and Harry smirked at each other.

"Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe," she had a large smile as she used her wand to pass around large textbooks.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven," the professor continued. 

Riley looked at the book which read 'Dark Arts Defence for Beginners.' On the cover, there was a child holding a wand with a toothy grin.

"What the fuck does she think we're like two?" Riley cursed.

"I would behave, Riley, she's a part of the ministry," Noah warned her as she shrugged her shoulders and continued to chew her gum aggressively.

"But you'll be pleased to know, from now on... you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved... course of defensive magic. Yes?" Professor Umbridge asked Hermione who looked just as confused as the rest of the class.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" Hermione flipped through the pages of her book with a bewildered look on her face.

"Using spells? Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom," The professor let out a high-pitched giggle.

"We're not gonna use magic?" Ron asked, his voice projecting his disbelief.

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way," Professor Umbridge said crisply.

"Yeah well would if we get attacked and then it'll come all the way back to you that you didn't teach us how to defend ourselves," Riley said as she twirled a strand of her hair.

Amira and Hazel looked at her in astonishment at her words.

"Riles, you're gonna get in trouble," Hazel whispered.

"Yeah, what use is that? If we're attacked, it won't be risk-free," Harry added.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class. It is the view of the Ministry... that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient... to get you through your examinations... which, after all, is what school is all about," Professor Umbridge stated with a sickening smile.

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry asked, his voice rising.

"There is nothing out there, dear," Umbridge let out a girlish laugh.