“Get dressed, Lovely.” She orders suddenly, turning to give me a small smile. “It’s a beautiful day today.”

Moving at a sloth’s pace I crawl out of the bed and go to stand beside her in front of the window. Looking at the gray cloud–filled sky I just chalk it up to one of those weird Nadine things. Grabbing a few pieces of clothing off the floor, I sniff them. Yeah, they smell clean. I notice Nadine still looking out my window and roll my eyes while muttering to myself.

“Your optimism is going to kill me one of these days I swear.”

Heading into the bathroom I strip off my gross oversized t-shirt so I’m only standing in my underwear. Catching my reflection out of the corner of my eye I grimace. Oh dear lord how did I manage to let myself sink into a melancholy this deep? My brown eyes heavy dark circles under them, my skin seems a bit paler than usual and my lips are so gnawed on I can see some dry blood.

I don’t if this is pathetic or just plain sad.

Pulling on a black bra, a white muscle T and my nude colored floor length skirt I sigh. I don’t even bother with the whole makeup game today. Instead I just wash my face and braid sections of my hair off my face while tucking the shorter pieces behind my ears. Looking over my reflection I feel apathetic.

Besides who am I trying to impress? Nadine’s just lucky I even got out of the bed. Opening the bathroom door I pause when I hear Nadine on the phone. Keeping the door cracked I listen closely.

“What do you mean ‘soon’?” She hisses into the phone. “Well that’s all well and good but this is a bit more important don’t you think?” She stops talking and I frown as I stare at one of the chipped tiles on my bathroom floor. Finally I hear her do a few humming sounds before she laughs lightly. “Yes, yes, I can see it working out well, very well in fact. Just don’t take too long to act this time, hmm? Goodbye.”

Opening the door the rest of the way I walk into the living room, attempting to be casual. Scratching at my head I decide to play off my snooping. “You know I just remembered, I don’t think I stayed the whole two weeks did I?”

“Nope. I think it was more like a week and a few days.”

“Huh. Weird. Felt longer.”

Silence.

“You were listening in weren’t you?”

I drop my head back and whine. “Yes.”

Nadine laughs before coming to wrap an arm around my shoulder. “All in due time, lovely. All in due time.”

Shooting her a dirty look I let her lead me out of the apartment.

This better be worth getting out of bed for.

*

I never should have left my bed.

My head is pounding by the time I make it back into my apartment building. I need a shower, or a bath or a bottle of vodka. I don’t know but I need something to get this damn headache to go away because this is getting stupid.

It didn’t help that all Nadine had me do was reorganize the books, alphabetical by title for some reason. It didn’t take me long to realize that all she was doing was keeping my busy. Of course it figured as much since her watchful eyes were on me pretty much the entire time. I swore to the goddess herself that if I had to even look at one more book from that shop, I’d burn the whole place to the ground.

Squeezing my eyes shut at the jingle of the keys in my hand I unlock my apartment door. Ginger comes jumping off his resting spot on the kitchen table to come greet me at the door, making me smile. At least I have one person in my life that will love me no matter what and doesn’t give me creepy riddles to figure out.